Thursday, October 05, 2017

Nat Williams, Promoter and Founder Of Boxing Information Center, Passes At 83!

This will be one of the saddest posts I have ever had to write.  One of the people who helped get me started in boxing in the Washington, DC area passed away on Sunday, October 1.

Nat Williams, a long-time promoter of pro and amateur boxing, transitioned at the age of 83.  When I first started, Nat was one of the first promoters I worked with in the business.  Nat, along with matchmaker Cleveland Burgess, the late Gilbert Ware, who was the Deputy Commissioner of the DC Boxing and Wrestling Commission and ring announcer Discombobulating Jones were all very instrumental in getting me started in the sport as a writer and TV announcer.

In the late 90's, Williams founded the Boxing Information Center (BIC), an organization that helped raise money for older boxers and put on amateur boxing cards to help give exposure to young boxers.  BIC was instrumental in the first return of the Mayor's Cup and also promoted the Capital Gloves in 2006.

During the buildup to the Capitol Gloves, I interviewed Nat for this blog.  On the first night of the tournament, Nat suffered a stroke.  I don't think he ever truly recovered from that sad event.

Nat's funeral will be held on Saturday, October 7th at Fort Lincoln Funeral Home and Cemetery located at 3401 Bladensburg Road in Brentwood, MD.  The viewing will be from 9:30 to 10:30 AM ET with the graveside service to follow.

Nat and I shared the same last name but, to my knowledge, we were not related.  However, Nat Williams was as close to a father figure as I had in this business.  We talked a lot about the business over the years and I was one of the folks who helped with the Boxing Information Center in its formative years.  Nat was a wonderful person who I thought the world of.  I will miss our conversations and our friendship dearly.  He was such a wonderful person.  I send my deepest condolences to his family.

No comments: