Saturday, October 14, 2017

Bernard Roach, Master Trainer, Passes At 52!

We have incredibly sad news to report.  Longtime Beltway trainer Bernard "Boogaloo" Roach passed away on Friday from complications of a heart attack.  He was 52 years old.

A native of Washington, DC, Mr. Roach served and boxed in the military in the eighties before turning to training boxers, which he did for more than 20 years.  Mr. Roach also served as a DC firefighter for 20 years.  A strict disciplinarian, Mr. Roach helped guide the careers of legendary boxers like Andrew Council and DeMarcus Corley.  Mr. Roach was in the corner when Corley won his WBO Super Lightweight title in June of 2001.  At the time of his passing, Mr. Roach was the co-trainer of rising prospects Lamont Roach, Jr., Kevin Rivers, Jr. and D'Mitrius Ballard.

In February of 2006, Mr. Roach and his cousin, Lamont Roach, Sr. founded the No Xcuse Boxing Gym in Capitol Heights, MD where they used Christian principles to train the entire person.

There are so many great things that I can say about Bernard and yet I can't believe I have to say them at this very sad time.  I had the great pleasure of knowing him for almost 25 years.  He goes back to my days on Boxing Spotlight when he was training Andrew Council.  To say that Bernard Roach was a first-class human being is truly understating the man.  They came no better than Bernard Roach.  His way of approaching you and always having a kind word to say.  He wore his faith on his sleeve.  No matter what the situation was, he approached it with a smile and with a positive attitude.

When Council lost his first bout against Keith Holmes in September of 1994 at the Show Place Arena, I remember that while he was upset that Council had three points taken away from him for questionable low blows, he still kept his cool and had a philosophical view of the bout.  That showed me what kind of character the man had.

For a short time, I served as a cemetarian at Fort Lincoln Cemetery in Brentwood, MD.  One funeral I had to oversee was a funeral for a firefighter.  Those funerals take a lot more planning than most.  Even though I had gone through the proper channels, I was still very nervous.  At one point during the ceremony, I looked to my right and I saw Bernard.  He smiled back at me and we shook hands.  Suddenly, I knew everything was going to be fine.

Bernard Roach's passing has affected the entire Beltway Boxing community.  You will not hear any bad words said about this man for he was someone that everybody in our business truly, truly loved.  I send my deepest condolences to his family.




19 comments:

Brian said...

obviously Mr. roach was a class gentleman. what I look forward if our paths would cross was the exceptional way he dressed. He always had a look I envied. Great guy across the board. Sad loss for all who knew and indeed the boxing world.

He was an honest guy in a dishonest game

Fight Doctor said...

I have no words. Blessings to your family. Rest peacefully my Brother.

Fight Doctor - (J. Spears)

Unknown said...

Sharon McGriff Miles

To my friend who showed me a great deal of love and respect. His character was built solely on the principles he's applied to his life. A true man who walked in his purpose. God's peace and comfort to his family and friends. Rest in God's eternal hands Bernard!

Unknown said...

Dear Boogaloo,

SHINE BRIGHT with a PURPOSE ETERNALLY, RIP

Unknown said...

Definitely one of the brightest stars in our universe. Boogaloo was a man of distinction not for any materialistic cause, but his character, grace, and honor. He was a consistent show of selflessness with an unwavering faith in God. I loved this man because he was goodness to his core. I am so grateful to have been a living witness of the personification of God's grace.

nicole4u2day said...

My deepest condolences go out to the loved ones he left behind

Unknown said...

To the family of Mr. Bernard Roach, first and foremost; the Gudger and Smith Family send their deepest sympathy and condolences. To say he was a friend to my family is an understatement. He was more than that he was a member of our family, we first met him while stationed at Fort Bragg back in the eighties. We took great pride and love to have him in our lives, his passing has left the deepest hole in our soul. While stationed at Bragg I can remember twice when he came to promote me. I would always go to his boxing matches to cheer him on, guess both being fron DC we had a lot in common. He lived his life to the fullest, he walked by faith and not by sight; he was truly a spiritual man, a family man, father, Soldier, and a True friend. Bernard, Rest In Peace my brother, you will forever in our hearts and spirts. We will miss you deeply.

Roscoe & Estelle Gudger and the Smith Families

Unknown said...

To my beloved brother, friend, and classmate Bernard Roach. I am deeply saddened by the news of your sudden departure from this realm. Your mere presence will be truly missed. But I understand that the Lord does not make mistakes. He placed you here for a Time and now he's called you home to be with him. Although we would have loved to have had you indefinitely, your work is done here. Job well done Champion. Job well done B! My sincere condolences and God's blessings to his boys, his wife, and all family members. Until we meet again my good friend.

Unknown said...

My good childhood friend from the third grade until adulthood very very good friend words cannot explain how I feel right about now rest in peace my good friend

Unknown said...

My condolences and prayers go out to the Roach family during this difficult time for all of us.

Gone too soon, but never to be forgotten. Rest peacefully in the arms of the Saviour, Boogaloo!

Frank W. Ballou High School
Math & Science
Class of 1981

Unknown said...

Boogaloo you were a GIANT among boys in high school and men in general. The world needs more men like you. Rest in peace my brother.

Much love,

Dr.Jerry A. (Hank) Bolling
Frank W. Ballou, Senior High School
Big Bad Ballou
Class of 82

Unknown said...

One of the best human beings on the planet. Boogaloo was a living example of how men, especially young black males should engage in life. He was a life-long friend. He will always live in the heart of humanity. My condolences to the family.

Carlton Sims (Monster)
Far-Southwest
Fort Greble / Bald Eagle

Thalia Sanders said...

I must be naive, I didn’t know the game was dishonest.

Unknown said...

Remembering Mr. Roach.... the first time meeting him was a moment I will never forget, he watch my coworker bring drinks inside for us, but once she grabbed the door, all the drinks waste, he was sitting in his car and got out began to apologize, because he said, “I should have gotten out and open that door for you”. We all laughed about it, but how about 20 min later Mr. Roach was coming back through the door with the same kind and size drinks and bought us lunch....a moment I will never forget....he taught me, we you see someone in need LEND A HELPING HAND..... we are sadden at such a times as this ...but he leaves a legacy

Unknown said...

My condolences and prayers go out to all in the Roach family. I will forever remember the days of Army boxing and competing against your team at Ft. Bragg. From all the members of the Ft. Lewis boxing team.. Rest In Peace my brother. Your legacy will live forever.

Sam Littlejohn ( Ft Lewis Boxing team)

Unknown said...

Mr Bernard was a partner at our church. He will truly be missed passing everyone in the hall with his smile and kind words.

www.UlyssesCooperTeam.com said...

My LoVe and Condolence goes out to the Roach family. . .
I knew Bernard “Boogaloo” Roach from the neighborhood S.W. and the boxing community. Growing up I was friends with his brother Derrek Roach. I begin to learn the characteristic of Boogaloo. I knew he was a person of pin point focus, excellence, hard worker, a winner and a go-getter. I became a fan of him long time ago and he has never failed my aspiration for his life. He has always been like a big brother, a mentor and most of all, my spiritual brother in Christ. Whenever we would see each other in the building where we both worked at one time, we would always talk boxing every chance we would get. My funniest moments with “Boogaloo” were earlier this year. I invited him to my movie premier and I have never seen him laugh so hard in my life. He was laughing at me in the scenes of the movie. My main man, he will truly be missed. . .
Peace and blessings,
Ulysses “Cecil” Cooper aka Coach Coop

Unknown said...

In terms of charisma, Boo was the closest thing to Muhammad Ali I had ever seen! Could talk a dude smooth out a fight or a ping pong game, and win!!!

Growing up in S.W./Bald Eagle Rec, you had to be able to fight, play both basketball and ping pong, Jone and get girls; Boogaloo was great at them all! His electric smile, incredible work ethic, and ability to admit fault are what made him special! So unfortunate to lose my brothers; him and Derrick so soon, but I am truly honored to have known and befriended them beyond casual, while also being a coworker at DCFD for a short time (still owe me for a trade man)!!! LOL

Your indelible legacy will continue homey! You touched so many lives, and for all the right reasons...God makes no mistakes!

Love you Boogaloo...your SW family!!

Unknown said...

Still remembering and honoring our friend and mentor. Coach Bernard Boogaloo Roach. It still hurts.