Thursday, May 26, 2016

Bute Tests Positive For Banned Steroid-Like Substance After April 30 Title Bout In DC!

Former super middleweight world champion Lucian Bute tested positive for a banned substance after his April 30th title bout against WBC champion Badou Jack at the DC Armory.

The WBC was notified by the District of Columbia Boxing and Wrestling Commission that Bute tested positive for the substance ostarine, which also goes by the names enobosarm and MK-2866.  The substance causes steroid-like muscle growth without the side effects of steroids.  Ostarine has been on the World Anti-Doping Agency banned list since 2008.

The bout between Jack and Bute ended in a 12-round majority draw. Jack expressed his feelings about Bute's positive findings to ESPN.com's Dan Rafael:

"This is the hurt business. You can die in the ring. It's bad. I like [Bute] as a person. He's a nice guy, but that's not cool at all. You put your life on the line every time you step in the ring and your opponent is cheating? You can die. Anything can happen in boxing.

"I hit him with some very hard body shots and he recovered from them, which I was surprised by. For him to come back that strong in the later rounds, that's what I was thinking about [when I heard about the failed test]. I thought he was an honest guy. I didn't expect that from him.

"He's still couldn't beat me even using something. I won the fight. Everybody thought I won the fight. It should not have been a draw in the first place. Hopefully it could be changed to a win."

The outcome of the bout, more than likely, will be changed to a no-decision.  Bute's camp did not respond to a request from ESPN.com for comment on this situation.

No comments: