Monday, May 12, 2014

Robert Matney, Past President of Virginia Association Of USA Boxing, Passes!


We have lost another great person involved in Boxing in the Beltway region.

Word has reached us that Robert "Machine" Matney of Virginia Beach, VA has passed away.  No word on the cause of death.  

Matney, a former Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy, was the owner of the Seven Cities Boxing Gym in Virginia Beach and was a past president of the Virginia Association of USA Boxing.  Matney was a coach on the 2012 Washington, DC Region Golden Gloves team that brought home three national titles, one "Golden Boy" award and the overall team trophy.

This one is a stunner because Matney was one incredible guy.  He is one of the key reasons why there has been a resurgence in the amateur program in the Tidewater area of Virginia and throughout the Commonwealth.  Matney was incredibly enthusiastic and passionate about the sport in the area.  I'm so glad I had the opportunity to get to know him and will miss him dearly!  My deepest condolences to his family and all who worked with him.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Machine was a great guy!

Anonymous said...

The DC region national team Golden Gloves team has dedicated this week to Robert Matney for all he has done for our Region.He will be greatly missed.

Anonymous said...

How did he pass?

Anonymous said...

Will truly miss Machine!

Anonymous said...

He taught me more in two one hour sessions than all other have combined.

Unknown said...

Machine was my dad .He watched me grow as a boy to a man in the amateurs winning consecutive titles to us turning pro with him as my head coach even though we only fought twice together as a pro before he was (killed )still we never lost not once..I was his rocky and he was my mickey.I love u machine your son Keith Rocko Robertson

Unknown said...

Live threw me.I'm still coming out to your trunks and robe u gave me!!Its still bang,bang,bang

Unknown said...

Dear Keith, I am the former wife of Rob Matney and mother of his daughter Michelle Matney, 26 years. We are shocked to hear about his passing last year. We jusg found out. Would you please be so kind to get in contact with me. It would mean the world to us ❤️.
Thank you very much and god bless you!

Janine & Michelle Matney

Unknown said...

Janine, my name is Brandon Tucker. I know you dont know me but i was a member of 7 cities boxing for 7 years and machine was the best friend, father figure, mentor and so much more. If you have any questions i might be able to answer, feel free to contact me.

Unknown said...

My name is Elliott, I went to 7 cities for about a year in 2012, do you have any information on how he passed?

P Wise said...

His legacy live on in his students. I was closer to him than my father. He was a great man and I'll never forget him.