Sunday, December 23, 2012

Noted Beltway Trainer Al Scott Passes!

We are still trying to get details, but long-time Beltway trainer Al Scott has passed away after a long illness.

Scott was best known for Beltway moments like the one pictured above.  Scott is on the left of the above picture with co-trainer Leonard Langley celebrating with NABF Junior Welterweight champ Reggie 'Showtime" Green.  Scott, Langley and Vardell McCann helped guide a group of boxers known as the "Hard Corps" (Green, Derrell Coley, Gerry Payne and Reuben Bell) to a number of regional titles in the early to mid-90's.  Scott was a fixture in the Beltway Boxing scene until about four years ago when his health started to take a turn for the worse.

I was doing the TV show Boxing Spotlight during those days when the "Hard Corps" was riding high and you could not find a nicer, more humble man than Al Scott.  He was just a joy to be around and he will be truly missed by the Beltway Boxing Community.

We will pass along arrangements when we receive them.  My deepest condolences to the family.



8 comments:

Richard McCombs said...

This is one of the saddest days of my life Gary,I am truly gonna miss CoachAl he was the only dad like figure I had...he was more than a great boxing trainer he was my friend and mentor, I love you so much Coach...it seem unreal we just talked the other day, I am gonna miss our conversations and our time together going grocery shopping cracking jokes etc.I know my kids will take this hard to as they loved you just as much I can only pray that God give us all the strength to carry on.

Anonymous said...

Rest in peace, brother Al. Your work here is done.

Fight Doctor (J. Spears)

Anonymous said...

It was an honor to know you. I will miss talking boxing with you!!!


Coach Doug from Oldschool.

Anonymous said...

My Pal Al,

Gone but never to be forgotten, he was a class Act from day one when I first met him 25 yrs ago. To anyone who knew him, it was obvious he had found Salvation at the end.. and is now with THE UNDISPUTED MASTER...who has chosen him to be a RING KING...in HEAVENS CORNER... because he fought the GOOD FIGHTS in Life! R.I.P good brother, your legacy will live on forever.....

Anonymous said...

Ring Announcer Jones was that you? Nice!

Discombobulating Jones said...

Yes, sorry, been a while since I've been on here, hit wrong button. MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone...BIG things coming up in the DMV..." Get ready to do this...!"

Anonymous said...

Good man and was an asset to the boxing community.
Scott F.

Alan's Gurl said...

Yes, he was a man of God, great husband, excellent father and my Best Friend!