Wednesday, January 26, 2011

'Dis-Com-Bob-u-lating' Jones Tells Story To Boxingtalk.com!

DC Boxing Hall of Famer Henry "Dis-Com-Bob-u-lating" Jones has had a strong story to tell over the past 20-plus years. Much of the story involves, quite frankly, the racist attitudes that some have had against African-American ring announcers.

Jones recently told his story to Boxingtalk.com and got an interesting response.

Here's the original story:

"http://www.boxingtalk.com/pag/article.php?aid=21143">


Brad Jacobs responded this way to Jones's comments:

"I don't want to address any of the baseless comments made by Mr. Jones. However, I will say that at the USA network, we chose to you use the consistent services of Mark Beiro at that time, just like our counterparts at HBO and Showtime would have the choice to use who they wanted to announce their fights. This was no slight against Mr Jones or any of the other dozen ring announcers who would have liked to have that platform at the time."


Jones's response to Jacobs can be found here:

I read the response from Brad Jacobs regarding my allegations of his unfair practice against me back in the day. It's a curious thing...how some people CHOOSE NOT to remember things...while others like me CAN'T FORGET the wrongs done against them! I can only FORGIVE, and that olive branch goes to you too Brad. SHALOM! However, the fact of the matter in this case was how he kept bringing in Ed Derian from Philly over me for the televised bouts, while giving me kudos for my wonderful announcing of the undercard. It was always Ed Derian, not my friend Mark Beiro from Florida, when the USA network came to DC to showcase our fighters Sharmba Mitchell, Derrell Coley, Daryll Tyson, and Reggie Green back in the '90's. Now, I don't want anyone to get it twisted either- I may call myself "Dis-com-bob-ulating" Jones, in homage to the late, great, loquacious one Howard Cosell- but I am very coherent at all times, and being a Masters Social Worker for 28 yrs you can bet your last I have documents and can easily obtain sworn affadavits to back what I say.

Baseless you say Brad. I don't think so. That's why they call the informative film version we are creating ...a Documentary.

Breadman, I've given 21 straight yrs to our not always so Sweet Science, taken great pride in always doing a professional job on the mic, gotten better each time out and helped many. I guess I was naive to think the bigwigs in the sport I loved would show me some love back but that has been far and few between. Over the years the stress and strain has affected my health and even cost me my marriage. No one has really ever thought about it but WHY HASN'T THERE EVER BEEN A BLACK RING ANNOUNCER on tv on a consistent basis like my Caucasian colleagues Buffer, Lennon Jr and Derian, all of whom have had this position on lock for the past 30 or so yrs! I've met my modern day contemporaries Lupe Contreras, Joe Martinez, Joe Antonnacci and give them kudos for their mic skills but what all of them have in common is that Promoters intervened on their behalf with the networks to get them their televised gigs. No one except DC fighter Mark "2Sharp"Johnson was willing to stand up to the networks for me, when he put it in his contract for me to announce his Championship bout on ESPN in DC against Arthur "Flash"Johnson back in February '98. Afterwards, Promoter Cedric Kushner lauded my performance and took me on the road with he and Mark to Trump Taj Mahal. Where are you Ced? We can help each other again good buddy!

No disrespect to any of the present ring announcers...but truth be known....I'm the best Ring Announcer most fans have never seen (or heard!). Ali said "it ain't braggin' when you can back it up!" Just as we rank our fighters Pound-for-Pound....I'm willing, ready and able to put myself up against any of my fellow ring announcers and let the fans decide who is best..."SOUND-4-SOUND!" Any challengers?

Breadman, I've also been announcing MMA bouts for the past 4 yrs and those fans and fighters seem to appreciate my creativity and personalized ring intros even more. If UFC honchos Dana White, and my old buddy from boxing Marc Ratner, are the astute businessman I think them to be, they will dust off the package I put in Marc's hands and bring me on board to capitalize on getting the different demographic base Dana and Rampage Jackson said is needed. Who better to draw young black fans to mma than having me on the mic? Black can turn to GREEN real quick with a little vision and daring!

I'm not going to belabor this dispute of wrongdoing with Brad or anyone else Breadman but thank you for letting me vent a little in this forum. I've been holding it in all my career, now I can let it go...and let GOD. It's just that I am not the type of person to go along to get along when someone urinates on me and wants me to think it's rain! Feel me? I know you do. Ok good brother, take care, and may the Power of your pen always be mightier than any sword used against you. Peace......

No comments: