Monday, December 27, 2010

Coleman Battles Paris in Pontiac, MI January 29!



(photo courtesy of Team Coleman)

USBA Junior Welterweight champion Tim "Pitbull" Coleman of Baltimore has a big fight to start 2011. Coleman (18-1-1, five KO's) will face undefeated Vernon Paris of Detroit, MI (23-0, 14 KO's) in a 10-round bout on Saturday, January 29 at the Pontiac Silverdome in Pontiac, MI. The bout will be fought at a catchweight of 143 pounds and will be on the undercard of the Devon Alexander-Timothy Bradley title contest.

Coleman is coming off a solid third-round TKO over Patrick Lopez on a nationally-televised ShoBox bout on October 1 in Santa Ynez, CA. Paris last fought on November 12 in Royal Oak, MI and scored a fourth-round TKO over Ramon Guevara.

Coleman gave his thoughts on this bout in a recent press release.

On his victory over Lopez

"I know that Lopez’s people were very confident that he would beat me. Though I was defending my title I know I was being brought in to lose. I had other plans though and I made a big statement in front of a large television audience. There was a lot of talk about Lopez being a former Olympian but I didnt care about all that. He and his people must have been back in their dressing rooms a good 3-4 hours after the fight as they really took the loss hard.

On his opponent Vernon Paris


"We have actually sparred before. I can tell you he definitely is not a puncher. Like most midwest guys with a amateur background he can box. I know the midwest fighters get a lot of bad press but those with serious amateur backgrounds from there almost always have solid boxing skills. The boxing doesnt worry me though as I am not coming to box. I’m coming for knockouts from here on out. If Paris even thinks about disrepecting me at the pre-fight press conference or the weigh-in I will put him in his place quickly. Even in his hometown. He hasn’t fought anywhere near the competition that I have fought. Not even close. I will be the biggest name he has fought to date. I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m picked to be the underdog in this fight since I’m fighting in his backyard. After beating Lopez, Gary Shaw got options on my next few fights but I honestly don’t feel he sees me as one his fighters. I’m sure he will have more interest in me after I take care of Paris."


On his future


"A lot of people may not like the fact that I am so straight forward with my comments but that’s who I am. From here on out I’m coming to knock guys ASSES out!!!! Plain and simple. That’s what people want to see and that’s the only way I’m going to get a money fight. I’m giving myself a 3-4 year window to make major things happen in my career. Meaning money fights. I mean that’s what I am in this for. I see former fighters that are broke and worse than that in bad health from fighting. I refuse to end up that way. All I want right now is an opportunity to be in a major fight. I will take care of the rest once I get that."

No comments: