Thursday, April 15, 2010

Alexander Johnson Speaks To High School Students!

This item is partly personal. Many Beltway Boxers do a lot of volunteer and charity work in their communities whether it's hosting charity drives at their events or speaking to young people. Many times, I haven't been able to publicize those events either because I haven't heard about it or they don't want it publicized.

This case, I feel I have to publicize because I'm periphally involved in this. Earlier today, undefeated Oxon Hill, MD light heavyweight Alexander "The Great" Johnson gave a rousing speech at the third quarter honor roll awards assembly at Booker T. Washington Public Charter School in the District.

A moment of full disclosure: I am a teacher at Booker T., however, I was not the one who originally invited him -- that was done by a colleague.

To say Johnson was a hit with the students is an understatement. The students were extremely attentive as he spoke on a number of topics while advising the students to "Respect God, respect yourself and respect your friends." Johnson stayed long after his speech to talk with students, sign autographs and pose for pictures.

My personal thanks to Alex for giving his time and knowledge and being an inspiration to his community.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool. I'm sure that we often forget how infuential those types of meetings were when we were that age. I still remember the assembly and special guest from my grammar school decades ago. If it helps just one child make better choices, it's very succesfull. We need more of that in our communities, not just from boxers. Thanks for sharing this, Gary.

Anonymous said...

Digital - didn't realize you were a teacher. I'll clean it up a little bit! I thought you sold burial plots? You do it all don't you? Whatever pays the bills, that's my motto.

Gary Digital Williams said...

I've done a lot of things but I've taught for a total of six years.

I would probably still be selling burial plots if it actually DID help pay the bills! LOL

Anonymous said...

I know you're a great teacher Gary!

Anonymous said...

much respect to Johnson,thanks for reaching out to the young,alot of other local athletes should follow that example,good fightet,class act, Baltimore..

Anonymous said...

Please whatever you do: DONT LET ZEKE SPEAK!

Anonymous said...

Now that's funny.