Wednesday, January 13, 2010

An Open Letter From..'The Tiger!'

BATB has received this open letter from heavyweight Tony “The Tiger” Thompson:


To The Following Heavyweight Hopefuls and Pretenders,


The year of 2009 is officially in the books and my new year’s resolution is aimed at one goal, fighting for the Heavyweight World Title again. But before I do that I have a small list of to do things or a small list of fighters that I need to deal with. This list includes the following fighters that I think currently stand in my way of accomplishing that goal. I want it to be known that I will fight any and all of these pretenders any time and any where this year. If you are a contender then you will stand up and answer my challenge if you are a pretender then you will ignore it and continue to run. May the following pretenders or contenders step forward:

Number 1> Chris Arreola> After the heated discussion we had at the press conference, following both of our successful fights on December 6th last year, my goal is to get you in the ring and settled the dispute of who is the best American heavyweight in the world.

Number2> Emmanuel Quezada> I don’t know much about you but you have a very high ranking. A ranking that’s higher than mine. I find that odd given the fact that you have not fought anyone that would substantiate you earning that high ranking. So, the only way to find out if you deserve that high ranking is to get in the ring with me.

Number 3> James Toney> We never got to decide who the best Tony was in the ring. I wasn’t healthy but now I am and besides I think this would be a great fight. So I am ready to take this fight when ever.

Any one of those three fights should be easy to make because we all have fought under the Goossen Tutor banner.


Number 4> Sam Peter> I’ve had this guy on my radar for years. He truly is a good fighter and an ex-champion but he just keeps slipping away or running the other way. But I’m here to tell that you can’t run for ever. Its time to put on the type of fight that people really want to see….

Number 5> Oldlanier Solis> It’s a lot of hype surrounding the Olympic gold medal winner another guy that has a high ranking. But does this Olympic success translate to the pros? Well, if you feel that you have deserved the ranking given to you then get in the ring with me and prove it. By the way why don’t we make the fight even more interesting? Since I had a very short amateur career I never got a chance to fight in the Olympics. So we could also fight for your gold medal it would look great in my trophy room.

Number 6/7>Ruslan Chagaev and Denis Boytsov> Both of you guys fight out of my adopted home town of Hamburg Germany. If you guys need to know anything about me you can ask your stable mate Luan Krasniqi about the experience. I can also show you the true American experience by fighting either one of you in the US...In short, I don’t have a problem in making a fight anywhere with both of you and yes that means fighting in my second hometown of Hamburg. So let’s make it happen.


In closing, I want to restate my challenge presented to the seven fighters mentioned, to fight any of them, anytime and any place this year. I want to demonstrate to everyone that I am the best heavyweight America has to offer. In July of 2008, I stepped into the ring as a man fighting against Vladimir Klitschko for the heavyweight title and that night the better man won. I was not myself and it was discovered after the fight that I had suffered an injury that later required surgery. But I make no excuses for the loss. I have since fully recovered and I am more than ready for any challenge. That includes the biggest challenge of all, fulfilling my new year’s resolution, a shot at the heavyweight title with either of the Klitschko’s or the other belt holder. See you in 2010.


Yours truly,


Tony “The Tiger” Thompson

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is not news

Anonymous said...

Get 'em Tiger! You're better than all of those guys! It's a shame you didn't fight better when you got a shot at Klitschko. Were you hurt in that fight? What happened?

Anonymous said...

Great letter, Tiger! Respectful, direct, bold and dignified.

It's refreshing to see a fighter get beyond the trash talk to go on the record, say his piece, and leave the rest to the ring.

Anonymous said...

So you don't believe that was 'trashtalk'. Dignified maybe, but still 'trashtalk'.

Anonymous said...

Horse shit all of this.
But it's one of the neccessary
evils that goes along with the sport.

Anonymous said...

Thompson is still a good boxer, best of luck, and i hope u get another shot at the championship.

NOXIOUS said...

Thompson will beat Arreola

Anonymous said...

The problem is that after his performance against Klitschko, nobody cares. Sorry Tony, but dat's da truth.

JuxtaExposed.com said...

Tony - I hope some of these options open up for you in 2010. Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Thompson will beat Arreola. That's the fight he should push for. But the problem is that both Tony and Arreola are promoted by Goosen. Goosen also knows that Tony will beat Arreola and Arreola is Goosen's Golden Goose. HBO gets very high ratings when Arreola fights and that is why, despite his obviously limited skills, HBO pushes Arreola so hard. Goosen would be foolish to put Arreola in with Thompson but if he does, Thompson will beat him for sure and Arreola will be done on HBO.