Thursday, December 10, 2009

Noted Boxer, Trainer Jimmy Hines Passes!

We received this information late and I do apologize, but BATB sends condolences to the family of Baltimore-area boxer and trainer Jimmy Hines, who passed away on December 5 at the age of 75.

Hines was a Navy veteran and was a tremendous amateur boxer sporting a record of 100-10. Hines was the South Atlantic Region's welterweight, middleweight, and light heavyweight Champion in consecutive years. He qualified for the Olympic Trials in 1952, but was knocked out by Floyd Patterson in 1952. Patterson went on to win the gold medal at the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki, Finland.

Professionally, Hines teamed with Frank Gilbert to train the likes of George Burton, Eddie Van Kirk, Chuck Sturm, Tony Cygan and Jed Phipps at the Loch Raven Boxing club for 32 years. Hines was well loved by the Maryland Boxing Community and is a member of the Maryland Boxing Hall of Fame.

Hines's funeral has already taken place and again, we send our condolences.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP Jimmy. You were a good man.

caligula said...

god bless boxing will miss such a champ.god bless the family .

Anonymous said...

Gary, if you have Mr. Franks # could you please get that to me,
Thanks Brad

Anonymous said...

God Bless you Mr. Jimmy, you are greatly missed.

Brad, the Auctioneer? Email me I got Mr. Franks number.

Boul

Anonymous said...

You made a hugh committment to me and the boxing industry. You will always be missed, and remembered!
God Bless, Chuck Sturm

Anonymous said...

Yes, he was a wonderful guy. I am his nephew and just saw this blog. I've printed out these condolences and will pass it along to the family. Sincerely, James Howes

Anonymous said...

Just to add to what I said above and correct a couple of points in the original message, he was actually 76 years old when he died and he was an Army veteran, not Navy. He served in Korea during the final months of the Korean War in 1953. - James Howes

Gary Digital Williams said...

Mr. Howes:

Thank you for your comments and your corrections. I just went by the info that was given me. My condolences to your family.