Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Personal Note of Thanks!



(Photo by John DeFreitas, The Washington Informer)

Since we are coming upon the Thanksgiving holiday and since I received the biggest honor I have ever received last week, it's only fitting that I take a moment to say thank you to a number of people individually and collectively.

I've had a couple of days to reflect after receiving my induction into the DC Boxing Hall of Fame and I know there were things I wanted to say in my speech but didn't. Also, I do want to repeat some things that I did say.

First, to my fellow members of the Class of 2009: All told inspiring stories, especially those of amateur category winners George W. Cupp and Reynard Knight, who both overcame adversity to forge strong amateur careers. Also, fellow outstanding contributor award winner Jeff Thames, whose dedication to some of the great boxers in this area cannot be matched.

It was an honor to sit at the same table with David "Bigfoot" Johnson, a large man with an even bigger heart. Even now, he could probably give some heavyweights trouble.

To Kevin Rivers Sr. and Jr: Thank you for your work as well. Kevin Jr. is truly one of the young boxers who I feel will carry this sport in this area to new heights and it won't take him long to do that. It's great also to see the unique bond he has with his father.

To Andrew Council and Isra Girgrah Wynn: It's truly an honor to be in the same class with two people who exude such class and who I have spent a lot of time with. Council is one of only two boxers who never won a world title to be on my list of the top 10 Beltway Boxers of the last 25 years (the other was Darryll Tyson). Council is someone I admire greatly.

As far as Isra Wynn is concerned, In the ring, she ranks right up there with the likes of Laila Ali and Christy Martin as a trailblazer in women's boxing. When the International Boxing Hall of Fame starts inducting women, the three of them should go in together. What she has done post-boxing (with her husband Marty) is just as inspiring -- promotion, entrepreneuriship and a star of an American Gladiators-style show that was taped in Lebanon.

And of course, there's the man that I have had the pleasure to share a microphone with for almost 20 years around the Beltway: "The Fight Doctor" Jerome Spears. One of my favorite things to say in this area is "alongside "The Fight Doctor" Jerome Spears, I'm Gary "Digital" Williams." The wealth of knowledge that this man has about the sport of boxing and his enthusiasm in sharing makes this business so much fun. I'm glad to say I am sharing this honor with him.

There are so many people I have to thank -- including the promoters, matchmakers, commission members, trainers and of course the boxers themselves. There are those who deserve special notice because without them, I probably wouldn't have had the opportunities to do what I do.

Gilbert Ware -- Mr. Ware was the Deputy Commissioner of the DC Boxing and Wrestling Commission. Mr. Ware was the first member of a commission to give me an opportunity to start broadcasting cards in the area. Mr. Ware trusted me sight unseen and I will always be grateful.

Cleveland Burgess -- The first matchmaker I worked with. In the days of Boxing Spotlight, he always let his support of the show be known publicly. I truly miss his enthusiasm.

Henry "Discombobulating" Jones -- a true mentor, confidant and friend. Watching him go through and overcome some of the struggles he has faced in being the first regularly working African-American ring announcer has inspired me to keep doing what I've been doing.

"Panama" Mike Payne -- A lot of who I am in the Beltway Boxing community is a result of a vision that was shared with "Panama." When I first started doing this, I was unaware that someone else shared the same vision. When Discombobulating Jones introduced me to Panama, it could have been an adversarial situation since we were working the same territory. Instead, Panama and I became a mutual admiration society and both of us worked hard to give the Beltway Boxing community the press it deserves. Payne's untimely passing left a serious void in that coverage and myself and others have tried to fill that void in his memory.

Finally, thanks to all the Beltway Boxing fans who truly support the boxers and who have supported me in all my endeavors. Your support and well wishes have truly been appreciated.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big Ups to everyone..
Jake Smith

Tim -- tstarks2@gmail.com said...

Huge congrats, Gary. You're the man.

Chris Middendorf said...

In light of the ever shrinking coverage of boxing by the Washington Post, what Gary has done has been huge. The thousands of words, written and spoken that he and Jerome have used to describe the fights, the events, the people and the fun of covering boxing along the beltway has had an incalculable effect on the spirit and the excitement of boxing in the area. They not only deserve congratulations from all of us but also a heartfelt thanks.

DC Boxing said...

Congratulations to all the inductees and to Digital especially. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Congrats again, Digital and Colonel, on your noteworthy achievement. Your fairness and integrity shine forth in every boxing report you give.

caligula said...

your the best gary.god bless you an family.you have my upmost respect. job well done,brother.