Thursday, August 20, 2009

Ballroom Boxing Travels to Hagerstown, MD August 27!

Ballroom Boxing will host its first card in Hagerstown, MD on Thursday, August 27 at Hager Hall. Three undefeated Beltway Boxers will be headlining the card that features five six-round encounters on this co-promotion with TKO Promotions.

Newly-crowned WBF Americas and NABC Welterweight champion James "Keep 'Em Sleepin'" Stevenson (10-0, nine KO's) of Baltimore will battle Tom Joseph of Youngstown, OH (4-2-1). Stevenson is coming off his third-round TKO over Ken Dunham that helped acquire his two titles on July 25 in Baltimore. Joseph was stopped in the first round by Demetrius Andrade on March 6 in Uncasville, CT.

Oxon Hill, MD light heavyweight Alexander "The Great" Johnson returns to action against Ariel "Iron" Espinal of Brooklyn, NY. Johnson (5-0, three KO's) will fight for the first time since his fourth-round unanimous decision win over Zeferino Albino on August 15, 2008 in DC. This will be Johnson's first scheduled six-round contest. Espinal (6-9-2, two KO's) has lost seven straight, including a four-round unanimoud decision to Naziyr Bell on August 1 in York, PA.

Also, Edgewood, MD welterweight Emmanuel "Transformer" Taylor (2-0, two KO's) is slated to be on the card in a four-round bout against an opponent to be named later.

The card will also mark the return of Silver Spring, MD middleweight George "El Gallo" Armenta (12-4, 10 KO's). Armenta was a very popular boxer in the area who was probably best known for his fourth-round TKO over Dante Craig on a Ballroom Boxing card in March of 2004. Armenta's last contest was a 10-round unanimous decision loss to Sechew Powell in September of 2004 in New York City.

Armenta's opponent will be William Johnson of Memphis, TN (9-18-1, three KO's) who's last bout was on a Ballroom Boxing card in November of 2008 when he lost by second-round TKO to Joey Gilbert.

There will be two other bouts slated for the card. Undefeated junior welterweight Francisco Contreras of the Dominican Republic (9-0, nine KO's) returns to a Ballroom Boxing card to face Julian Rodriguez of Mexico (17-16-4, 11 KO's). Contreras scored a first round knockout over Gustavo Mejia on June 19 at Michael's Eighth Avenue. Rodriguez will try to bounce back from a fourth-round knockout loss to Juan Ramon Cruz on April 24 in Caguas, PR.

Also, Johnstown, PA cruiserweight Andres Taylor (9-1-1, five KO's) will face Joseph Harris of Union City, TN (10-8, seven KO's). Taylor stopped Roy Ashworth in the fifth round on August 1 in York, PA while Harris has a four-bout winning streak but hasn't fought since April of 2008.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

do anyone know when the kid
Cecil McCallar, will be fighting
again.i think he's the best in
the baltimore,area from
147 Lbs to 160 Lbs and they never
put him on the cards
I'm beginning to feel like
there is some hating going on
some where.

Gary Digital Williams said...

Cecil McCalla is slated to be on the Saturday, August 29 show in Lynchburg, VA. I don't know who the opponent is yet though. Joe Hensley, the promoter is still working on that card.

Anonymous said...

HAVE NOT SEEN EL GALLO IN A LONG TIME,ARMENTA CAN GO,WHO IS HANDLING HIM THESE DAYS AND WHERE IS HE TRAINING,GUESSING HE IS PROBABLY 168 OR SO,IF HIS COMEBACK IS FOR REAL,BEWARE MD DC MIDDLEWEIGHTS,THE ROOSTER CAN FIGHT,GOOD LUCK JORGE

Richard McCombs said...

George can fight I had the pleasure of fighting him in the 1999 ABF tournament. Good luck my friend I wish u well see u soon.

Anonymous said...

"Keep'em Sleepin"

Unknown said...

Boxing oh it's a painful game and players has to fight very rudely huh!!!
Carol
Wireless Home Alarm Security Systems

Anonymous said...

Is anyone going to the fights? I have a question. Is the card at Hager Hall or Hager House? Initially they said "Hall", which is different location than "House". If anyone is going please let it be known. Maybe I can meet some of use guys. Mike

Anonymous said...

Ballroom Boxing says it is in Hager Hall. Other sites say Hager House. I looked them up and they ARE different. The fight is at Hager Hall 901 Dual Hwy, 21740. Just look up directions to the Clarion Hotel. It is right next door. Hager House is actually on Key Street.

Anonymous said...

I Like keep sleep stevenson do your thing

Anonymous said...

Richard I remember that fight when u were beating the shit out of george and quit in the corner in the 3rd. Ur heart is very questionable though your skill is promising if u ever decide to fight again I sure hope u leave it all in the ring. Now to Ass sim ur a crook just like fat joe Blow Gary ban these fools.

Richard McCombs said...

I never quit I was training for a fight at 147 at the time and I was weighing 152 at the time,I was training and hitting the sauna afterwards to make weight,bout time I got to the fight I weighed 146 my guy didn't show.I found out George guy didn't sho either so I turned open that night and faught george but by that time I was weak ass a girl scout who ran ten miles lol when I sat in the corner at the end of two my kidneys were hurting me so bad I was drained & my corner called it off. I was beating him for the record but the main thing was he won the fight it was for him not me:) Good luck George.