Monday, September 29, 2008

MD Commission Lauded in Ring Column!

The latest issue of The Ring magazine has a column that focuses on the Maryland State Athletic Commission's study of Chronic Traumatic Brain Injury (CTBI) or what is known as dementia pugilistica.

The column, written by former Nevada ring physician Dr. Margaret Goodman, talks to award-winning Maryland physician Dr. John Stiller and commission Executive Director Patrick Pannella about a study that began in November of 2003 that seeks to answer whether boxers can be tested to see if they are at risk for CTBI and if there is an opportunity for signs and symptoms to be prevalent as indicators that a boxer should stop fighting. There are 225 boxers who are a part of the study and are followed on an annual basis.

Dr. Stiller (who is a neurologist) has been involved in boxing since the mid-1980's and has testified and supported boxing in front of Congress. He is well versed on this subject and has won numerous awards from the American Association of Ringside Physicians.

This is an interesting and very good read that shows that Maryland has been on the cutting edge of this part of the sport.

PERSONAL SIDENOTE: Dr. Goodman's column starts with an incident that I know too well: The last bout of former IBF Junior Middleweight champion Vincent "The Ambassador" Pettway in 2001 at Du Burns Arena in Baltimore. Pettway was battered for six rounds by Luis Rosado before the bout was stopped. The Maryland commission later forced him to stop boxing. It was a tough night all the way around.

This was the first, and I hope the only time, that I admittedly overstepped my bounds as a reporter and looked a boxer in the face and told him he should quit. Others around me at that time did the same thing. I know it was not my place, but Pettway meant and still means a lot to me and to this area.

Am I glad I did it? Yes, because I looked past Pettway the boxer and focused on Pettway the man. Pettway's decision to comply with the Maryland Commission is to the benefit of a number of young boxers who want to be where Pettway has been and can use Pettway's boxing knowledge to guide them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also told Vince I thought it was time, Gary. It's not overstepping your bounds when you believe a life is at stake. I am proud to admit I've quietly worked behind the scenes in the past to make sure boxers I knew, who were taking way too many punches and getting knocked out frequently and early, and starting to noticeably slur their words, were urged (or forced) to retire by commission and promoters. I also have from my ringside seat urged the stopping of fights when I think someone is going to possibly be killed. Is that overstepping your bounds? I've seen people killed in the ring. I think it's the human thing to do. - J.S.