Saturday, December 08, 2007

Results From Pikesville!

Here are the results from the Baltimore Pro Boxing "Bombs Away on Pearl Harbor Day" card at the Pikesville National Guard Armory:

Baltimore's Tim "Pitbull" Coleman and "Magnificent" Martinus Clay of Wilson, NC fought to a 10-round draw in the battle for the East Coast Championship. The scores were 96-95 for Coleman, 96-94 for Clay and 95-95. A spokesperson for Coleman told me after we recorded the post-fight wrap-up that Coleman broke his right hand in the fifth round. Coleman remains undefeated at 14-0-1, three KO's. Clay is now 12-18-3, four KO's.


Jessie "The Beast" Nicklow of Severn, MD remained undefeated by winning a six-round unanimous decision over Akron, OH's Anthony "Quick" Little in a rematch of their August 25 bout in Ocean City, MD. Judges scores were 59-55, 58-55 and 59-54. Nicklow is now 14-0-1, five KO's. Little is 7-10, one KO.

Montgomery, AL's John "No Mercy" Mackey won a six-round unanimous decision over Baltimore's Tony "Cyclone" Cygan in a true fight fan's feast of a bout. The scores of 59-55 (twice) and 58-56 do not indicate how tough and spirited this bout actually was. Mackey, who is originally from DC, continues to be undefeated at 8-0, three KO's. Cygan falls to 12-2, seven KO's.

Baltimore light heavyweight Willie "For Real" Williams gained a measure of revenge by winning a six-round majority decision over Takoma Park, MD's Willis "The Prophet" Lockett This was a rematch of a September 27 bout at Michael's Eighth Avenue in Glen Burnie in which Lockett won by six-round majority decision. Two judges scored the bout 58-56 for Williams while the third judge saw the draw at 57-57. Williams has now won three straight and raises his record to 9-2, two KO's. Lockett saw his four-bout winning streak snapped and his record falls to 10-5-4, four KO's.

For the fourth time in his young career, Reisterstown, MD super middleweight"The Golden Greek" Elias Bouloubassis fought to a four-round draw. This time it was a majority draw against Pete Guthy of Myrtle Beach, SC. If not for an incident in which Guthy did not get credit for a knockdown against Bouloubassis in the second round, Bouloubassis would have lost the bout on the scorecards. One judge had it for Bouloubassis, 39-37, but two judges scored the contest a draw at 38-38. Bouloubassis's record is now 3-0-4, three KO's while Guthy is all even at 2-2-2.

The opening bout saw Baltimore's Henry "Hurricane" Mayes and John "The Baptist" Terry of Portsmouth, VA fight to a four-round draw. One judge saw the bout 39-37 for Terry, while another saw the contest 39-38 for Mayes and one judge called it even at 38-38. Mayes is now 6-4-1, four KO's while Terry is 2-7-2, one KO.

Ironically, the only bout that didn't go the scheduled distance was a contest that was turned into an exhibition bout at the last minute. Stevensville, MD junior welterweight Tony "Mo Better" Jeter fought a spirited bout against Reisterstown, MD's "Diamond" Matt Hill. Jeter looked sharp after a two-year absence and was more than willing to exchange with the veteran Hill, who definitely responded in kind. The scheduled three-round exhibition was so spirited that promoter Jake Smith stopped the contest after only two rounds. No official word was given as to why the bout was an exhibition.

Here is the complete recap in the latest BATB Post-Fight Wrap-Up Show:

Gabcast! Boxing Along the Beltway #94 - Post-Fight from Pikesville!

"The Fight Doctor" Jerome Spears and I recap the third annual Baltimore Pro Boxing "Bombs Away on Pearl Harbor Day" card from the Pikesville National Guard Armory in Pikesville, MD -- one of the most competitive cards in recent memory.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gary,
That boy Tony Cygan is one tough guy! Mackey told me that was the toughest fight so far. Tony hit Mackey so hard that he busted Mackey's ear drum. That happened in 5th round and he didnt really had to fight in the 6th. I told him to jab and move but thats not him he wanted to finish strong until that last bell ring. What a tremendous fighter he is. I have worked with Mackey's last 5 fights and I have not seen anyone more exciting than him. There is couple of guys pretty close to him but nobody is more exciting than him.
I like to thank Jake Smith for having Mackey on his show.
Han Kim

Linda "Great Shot" Siadys said...

Jake delivered another great show. Rough leaving at 1:30, but worth it this time.


Those fifth rounds really were hard, didn't Gary say Tim broke his hand in his? I have to agree with you Han, I think I have seen all of John's fights this year and Cygan was the toughest I had seen John fight. I have to say Mackey has become my absolute favorite fighter this year, not just because of his skill, but also, because he always comes ready to fight and digs in, and when he leaves the ring, it's usually talking and laughing with his opponent. I know it's all about boxing, but it just amazes me to see how he tempers skill with respect and transforms every match he is a part of.

Anonymous said...

VERY WELL PUT, LINDA!
HAN KIM

Anonymous said...

hey G, NO RESULTS FROM THE SILVER GLOVES LAST NIGHT BMORE, UPTON GYM THEY HAD SOME REALLY NICE FIGHTS LAST NIGHT ANTONIO MAGRUDER GOT A 30 SEC KNOCKOUT LASTNIGHT YOU NEED TO POST THAT g he loves your column along with the other kids from the gym...new lil dominic wade 30 sec knock out..we have some new and up an coming youngsters!!

Anonymous said...

Jake and Josh,

What a GREAT show! I wish I could have been there!

THREE Draws! WOW! Close decision bouts that all go the distance! WOW!

We all aspire to making competitive fights, but based on these results I would have to say this is the card of the year! I knew it was going to be a great show when the matchups were announced and it delivered and then some. Well done!

Also, John Mackey is the real deal! Han Kim, you have a real prospect on your hands!

Joe Hensley

Gary Digital Williams said...

Observer,

I can't be at two places at once. Sometimes people need to send me results of the amateur shows, if I'm not there.

I've asked people to do that for me. My email is available right here.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Jake and Josh for a first-class boxing show in Pikesville. I have to admit, I didn't stick around for the 10-rounder -- that's a long drive back to D.C. -- although, Jeff Jowett drives 2 1/2 hours back to Pennsylvania! -- but everything I saw was terrific. If you want great boxing, they sure supplied it. Mixed martial what? This was the real stuff...Hey, did Jake serve breakfast after the show?
Somebody might want to remind Jeter that that was supposed to be an exhibition! Holy smokes. By the way, that was a three-rounder with head gear, Gary, because Jeter's opponent didn't pass his medical. Diamond graciously stepped in. They were told to go 75 percent. That didn't look like 75 percent. I wonder if Diamond knew Jeter would be unloading when he offered to step in. I think it was good Jake stopped it after two. What was the point? . . . Mackey looks great. Good luck with him, Han. . . Wonderful effort by light-punching spoiler "Quick" Little to hang in there with Jessie "The Beast" . . . One more thing: The judges are well within their rights to score a 10-8 if they believe a knockdown has occured even if the ref doesn't rule an official knockdown. The ref makes the knockdown official, something for the record, but the judges' work is interpretation, and they can do what they see fit. This is re: Elias Bouloubassis vs. Pete Guthy. How did I score it? Shoot! My notebook is out in the car -- John Scheinman

Anonymous said...

There is no question Mackey is the real deal...

Anonymous said...

Too bad he's not on the local prospect poll... for sure he is, far away, the top prospect on the local scene.

Anonymous said...

That Boulobassis guy... he's lucky Lawrence Jones had to pull out... cos he can't fight a lick...

And man... what's up with Henry Mayes' chin? Wow does he falter under pressure... good skills and ring generalship though, if the pace is slow enough.

Anonymous said...

BoxBible--Whats your professional record? You always talkin smack bout fighters. We can do without your negative comments. These kids get in the ring and fight, thats more then spectating and talking trash.

Anonymous said...

Aw shut up... I used to fight... I took my lumps and dished it out too...

As a pro, I retired undefeated. As an amateur, I fought on the New York City circuit getting to the Golden Gloves quarters three times each time losing to the eventual winner. My overall record was around 18-5. My pro record still stands at a perfect 0-0.

Let me give credit where I think it's due and let me dis when I feel like it... I don't put anybody down, but I give my very, very humble opinions on them as regards their fighting abilities.

Mackey is terrific; Cygan is a warrior; Mayes can box, but doesn't handle pressure and definitely can't take a punch; Nicklow got talent but needs to tighten up his shit; and Boulobassis sucks... I seen him three times now and can't figure out what the fuss is about... you must be a fan of the Golden Greek.

Anonymous said...

Just what i thought, a amatuer who doesnt even know his own record. Everyone remembers their record. Yours is probally made up.

Yes I do know Boul, see him in the gym and saw him in the locker room before the fight. You would give him more credit if you knew what he goes threw. The boy gots Asthma so bad he had breathing trouble in the locker room before the fight. If you come to Baltimore Boxings gym you will see him have to use a asthma machine before he even works out. I just think with all that said he battles more outside the ring then in.

That was my first seeing Mackey (who yes looked awesome), and Tony is a true warrior and so is Jessie. Mayes won that fight most definitley, and is a good boxer/puncher.

My bottom line is Boul is doing what doctors probally tell him not to do, and what he physically is not suppose to do.

Boul I would like to hear you on this.

Linda "Great Shot" Siadys said...

BoxBible, Is that a mistake: Pro record 0-0?

Anonymous said...

I think it means he has never fought a pro fight.

I am undefeated at 0-0 also, and so are you Linda 0-0, lol.

Linda "Great Shot" Siadys said...

Just confused, if only an amateur, why not just say that? No need to even say the "Pro" word then.

Anonymous said...

yo Boxbible, sometimes you should keep your thoughts to your self, especially when you talk down our local fighters. I read your comments many times here at the blog and you make some great predictions and after fight remarks but dont say those shits about our local heroes. MIKE SAWYER, ELIAS BOULOUBASSIS, HENRY MAYES...I thank you for your compliments on John Mackey. See you around the blog. By the way that was my first meeting with Boul and I thought he was really good person! I really wish you good luck at this game. Han Kim

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mr. Han Kim. It was really great to finally meet you. I wish you and your fighters all the best.

Boul

Anonymous said...

Interested in hearing how Jeter actually looked. Was he in shape? Did he show any speed or power? Has he solved his penchant for getting hit with left hooks? I would also like to here if Mo Better is going to stay active, his career has been marked with long ring absences. He is a gracious, earnest person but not a kid anymore at 32. If he hopes to make a mark, he needs to get active and stay active. Would love to see Jeter and Paschall square off after Tony gets a few fights under his belt. They had some great amatuer bouts if I remember.

Gary Digital Williams said...

Jeter didn't look bad at all, especially after being off for a year. There was no real rust at all.

The exhibition between Jeter and Hill was more spirited than people expected. Jeter can still bang and didn't get hit much with the left hook.

Anonymous said...

Na homie the negativity aint needed on this site.

Anonymous said...

Tony Jeter is on his way in 08. He will be in shape and active.The man punches hard and is tighening his defense. He needs a couple easy fights before he tackles top opponents.


Mike Davis

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the input. I hope he stays active, his career never got started and he seems to have some ability (if he can stay away from that hook!!). When will be his first official fight back occur? What gym is he fighting out of?

Anonymous said...

Tony trains at Club One Fitness in Millersville. He hopes to fight on Jakes next card in January.Hes training thru the holidays getting ready. I will be advising him on all of his future fights to help move him up the ladder. All local promoters can reach me at Franchise1964@sprintpcs.com to contact me.

Mike Davis

Anonymous said...

OK... the negativity censorship patrol wins this round... I feel the pressure from all two of you... let's put Bouloubassis in a more positive light...

The Golden Greek is the second coming of Sugar Ray Robinson. The hand speed is awesome. The textbook moves and pinpoint punching accuracy are marvelous. Hopkins would be proud of his ring generalship. His footwork reminds of a peak Willie Pep. And that frightening punching power!!!

Now if he can only figure out a way to beat those stiffs...

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,

The 0-0 thing was a sarcastic reply to the guy who wanted to know what my pro record record was... as if it makes a difference.

He seems to be suggesting that if I had fought pro, then I might have a right to criticize although he seems bent on not having any negative criticism of anyone on this blog.

Sounds confused. Might be the kind of guy who would've participated in the Spanish Inquisition. If something offends him, it must be wrong.

Anonymous said...

Im curious if anyone else thought that cygan's fight was a little closer then the score cards? Ive seen hometown fighters look alot worst then that and get a win.. I dont think Cygan won but I think it should hav been a draw.

Anonymous said...

Hometown guys usually have favor, but not in Maryland. In Maryland, especially Baltimore its like the hometown guys are the out-of-towners

Anonymous said...

I was at ring side and I had it 4 round to 2 against Tony. Tony threw some big shots but not enough. I thought Mackey was just busier enough to win the closer rounds.It was a good fight!
Brad Dudley