Friday, September 14, 2007

Teddy Atlas's Take on The Peterson Brothers!

In a recent interview with Brad Cooney of Boxingtalk.com, ESPN Boxing Analyst Teddy Atlas had some very positive comments about the undefeated Peterson Brothers as well as their trainer, Barry Hunter.

This interview was conducted shortly after Lamont Peterson's victory over Frankie Santos last Friday on ESPN2 in Biloxi, MS.

BT (BoxingTalk) – Lamont Peterson just grabbed a regional title tonight, talk about his performance.

TA – I love the Peterson brothers, I love what they are in and outside the ring. I love what they can bring to boxing, especially if they win titles. I love the idea that they may become great spoke persons for boxing, coming from where they came from, and rising to the top. I pray and hope that they can become spoke persons for boxing. I love Anthony and Lamont Peterson, the fans will love them if they haven't had a chance to see them yet. They have talent, they are solid, they may not do one thing in a great way like Mayweather or Zab Judah, but they do everything well. Tonight Lamont did what he had to do, there was only going to be one guy to win tonight. Lamont did the same thing as Zab, he got his legs stretched out, and he was here to run the car up the road a little bit. He's getting ready for the next opposition that his team has planned for him.



BT – Lamont just told me that he is scheduled to fight in November, and then he wants Paulie Malignaggi, how do you see that fight if it happens?

TA – Malignaggi has some experience in the pro's and some speed advantage. The strength advantage goes to Lamont, it sort of reminds me of a Cotto vs Judah fight. I think it's an interesting match up, I am not saying the result would be the same, but Malignaggi showed in the Cotto fight that mentally he is together. Maybe even more mentally ready than Zab has been in those spots. It would be the body punching of Lamont versus the speed of Malignaggi. It's an interesting match up, I like Malignaggi both inside and outside of the ring, I like what the Peterson's are doing, I like Barry Hunter (Peterson's trainer), and what he's done for them as a father figure. I think we need more people like Barry Hunter in boxing, sometimes when you look at boxing, people say you won't find people like Barry. Hunter is a good example of someone who understands life skills, and what's important as a person.

1 comment: