Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wade Advances, Guerrero is Eliminated in Olympic Trials!

The Beltway Olympic Brigade is now down to just two.

Largo's Dominic Wade won his first bout in the 165-pound Challenger's Bracket of the US Olympic Trials, stopping Zach Hardrick of Fort Carson, CO at 45 seconds of the third round.

However, for Salisbury's Fernando Guerrero, the Olympic dream is over. Guerrero lost a 22-19 decision to Shawn Porter of Cuyahoga Falls, OH in the other 165-pound Challengers Bracket bout. Guerrero now has two losses and has been eliminated from the competition. The win is a measure of revenge for Porter, who lost to Guerrero in the finals of the US Championships earlier this year.

Wade, along with Capitol Heights's Gary Russell, Jr. will compete tomorrow evening after 6 PM Central Time. Wade is scheduled to take on Porter while Russell is slated to battle Sergio Perales of Los Fresnos, TX. Russell defeated Perales in the finals of the 2005 Golden Gloves.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are these trials on TV anywhere? Probably not. I remember back in 1984 when Evander Holyfield, Pernell Whitaker, Virgil Hill, Tyrell Biggs, Meldrick Taylor, and even guys like Paul Gonzalez and Frank Tate, were on TV during the trials. I remember Mike Tyson losing to Henry Tillman during the trials.

Anonymous said...

its nothing like it used to be. just turn pro and ferget the olympics

RichardMcCombs said...

Why turn pro when you have the chance to make history and secure your place in the pro's with a promising career.

Anonymous said...

u turn pro now while u r young or u wind up like a punch drunk boxer like richard mc combs. that can be a boxers worst nightmare

Linda "Great Shot" Siadys said...

Wow, Gabbie that's sounds really mean and harsh.

Anonymous said...

It sounds harsh, but it is true!

RichardMcCombs said...

I would never become punch drunk I handle myself well. I tell you guys are funny but if you want jokes watch BET. however keep in mind empty wagons make alot of noise. Linda my friend did you get any photo's of Gary?

Anonymous said...

Richard is far from being punch drunk I mean he had more sparring matches then fights but who cares. I no dude I seen him work againts Joppy had him his bike for a minute. I dont know if it's slim heart as many questioned but he do have skill thats real talk. I hear Darnell be on here I got a beat down for that ass but Congrats to Gary 2008 is your year slim.