Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Memorial Service Honors McKnight as 'Role Model's Role Model!'

I don't know too many people that have enough influence, respect and love to bring two mayors, three city councilmembers, faculty members from at least two prestigious historically black universities and one of the most powerful men in the sport of boxing together.

Dr. Arnold W. McKnight was one of those people.

Monday night at the Southeast Tennis and Learning Center (where Dr. McKnight was director since its inception in 2001), a memorial service for Dr. McKnight brought together those people and many, many others from the boxing, education and tennis world who were truly touched by Dr. McKnight, who passed away on July 31.

Among the speakers at the service were current DC Mayor Adrian Fenty, former DC Mayor and current Ward 8 Councilmember Marion Barry, Ward 7 Councilmember Yvette Alexander, Ward 5 Councilmember Harry Thomas, Jr. along with NewsChannel 8 sportscaster Glenn Harris, boxing promoter Rock Newman and New Jersey State Athletic Director Larry Hazzard, Sr., who drove down from New Jersey to be at the service.

Reverend Willie Wilson of Union Temple Baptist Church presided over the service and a traditional boxing 10-count was given by members of the DC Boxing and Wrestling Commission, trainer Adrian Davis and ring announcer Henry "Discombobulating" Jones.

McKnight was honored by many people in the community who are considered role models as the person who taught them how to be role models. The number of young people who were wearing black t-shirts honoring Dr. McKnight and were acting in such a professional manner as they greeted visitors coming into the facility was a reminder that the lessons taught by Dr. McKnight, Dr. Cora Masters Barry and those who work at the Southeast Tennis and Learning Center fell on fertile ground.

However, there were two notable groups of people who were notably absent:

1. Where were the boxers? I understand if you are a currently active boxer and you train in the evening, I can understand you not being there. But if you are active and not training for a bout or if you are a retired boxer who has fought in DC, there was no reason for you not being there.

Many of you would not be able to box in your own hometown if it were not for Dr. McKnight. The commission he ran since 1993 and was a part of since 1991 allowed you to practice the craft you love. You owed them enough courtesy to show your support for the memory of this man as he was one who showed you support in your great moments.

2. Where was the mainstream media? We should not be overly surprised at this group not being there because they have missed the Metro on this story all week long. I have never seen a city GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL receive so little press in my entire life. There were only two very brief mentions in the Washington Post and NOTHING in the Washington Times or the Washington Examiner.

I had to practically pull teeth to get Dr. McKnight's passing mentioned on Sportstalk 980 and nothing was mentioned on Triple X ESPN radio or any other local station that I know off.

That basically leaves two people who will be able to tell the story of this man through anything called "media" -- Carla Peay of the Washington Informer and James Wright of the Washington Afro-American.

That was just unfair. Had this been a man full of scandal, the press would be all over this. But this was a great man who embodied everything you wanted in a person and very little was recorded.

But enough of my rant. I was honored to know Dr. Arnold W. McKnight and I was very thankful to be at his service to honor him.

There is a series of photos from the memorial service courtesy of Linda Siadys: at this link.

http://photodawg1.smugmug.com/gallery/3246169

6 comments:

Linda "Great Shot" Siadys said...

I went. I went to honor someone that I only even knew because of boxing and my love of it. I went because he was nice to me and made me feel like the work I did mattered and meant something...in such a subtle way, I didn't even know it then. I didn't know Dr. Mcknight really...I went to some commission meetings and saw him ringside a few times. The most notable one time for me was where I started shooting his picture when he arrived at the weigh in of DC first MMA event, that he and the commission really fought hard for. As he held his hand up laughing at my enthusiasm he said that I would single-handly put DC on the map. I wondered what my place was at this memorial, among so many with such long memories and deep blood and love. The Mayors...past and present were there...children he mentored and nurtured who gave an unbelievable performance and broke down sobbing in tears after. Where did I fit in? It was a really a question I often wonder about why am I so drawn to boxing and feel more at home ringside than at home? It's 9:15, and I have to get up at four, so I undo the flash and pack the camera in the bag and head to my car, in SE a mile from where I grew up on Alabama Avenue...kind of numb and just not sure. The car parked in front of mine is a dark cab and with a driver at the wheel who says, excuse me, but do you have an extra program? I only had the one, remembered how I nearly took two when I got there nearly an hour before anyone else and didn't want to be greedy...well the programs quickly were spent. I paused and really didn't want to give mine up, so I told him that he could call the boxing commission and they could probably give him a copy. He said thank you and Dr. Mcknight was a friend of his and he would have liked to have had the program. I said tell you what, here is my card, please call me or email me and I will make a copy of the program and get it to you. As he took the card he said...that is exactly what Dr. Mcknight would have done. Somehow I felt a Zen answer in that and am really too tired to puzzle it. But it told me I was on the right track and I feel Dr. Mcknight's spirit resonate all around me and I still don't know the why, only that I am on the right path.

Anonymous said...

1) Damn Digital, you seem pissed off! And I can't say I blame you.

2) Just out of curiosity, what was he a Dr. of?

3) I ask this out of curiosity, not out of rudeness/snideness/doubt: As someone who's been covering the Beltway boxing scene for as long, you can probably answer this: How was Dr. McKnight influewntial?

Gary Digital Williams said...

I believe Dr. McKnight had a doctorate in education, but I'm not sure.

Dr. McKnight was -- along with Larry Hazzard of New Jersey -- the longest tenured chair of a boxing commission in the country. He served through four Mayoral terms (Barry, Sharon Pratt Kelly, Anthony Williams and Fenty). You don't see that often.

He was influential because he touched a lot of lives in many different arenas of life. At the service I saw people who are not affiliated with boxing who I've known for years through other avenues. Either I went to school with them or worked with them but we were all touched in some way by Dr. McKnight.

Strictly boxing, I think his influence helped get some things done in this area. Could he had done more? Probably. There is talk that he was working on some things with Larry Hazzard to put the DC part of the Beltway in some serious limelight. I will talk about some other plans publicly very soon.

Anonymous said...

There are commissions in various states that are aggressive in pursuing fights both big and small, and working with the promoters to support them in their efforts. Dr. McKnight enthusiastically wanted more fights in the District and seemed to preside over the city's boxing with great joy. He will be missed certainly. One hopes that in replacing him, a new man/woman with Dr. McKnight's same enthusiasm and vision can be found who will bring a fresh outlook to the DC Commission and get the boxing program up and running again.

Anonymous said...

Gary,

What is the selection process for replacing Dr. McKnight in his untimely death? Would the selection process come from within the commission or as an appointment by Mayor Fenty? Either way, it should be someone with fresh ideas and can continue to move the commission in the directions that Dr. McKnight & Co. has worked so hard to accomplish. I am sure there were many plans on the table and I wish the commission well. It's always tough to replace an icon.

Gary Digital Williams said...

Hi Sarah!

Normally, the appointment would come directly from the Mayor. It is possible that the remaining members of the commission may have recommendations, but the ultimate choice usually comes from the Mayor's office.

Marion Barry originally appointed Dr. McKnight to the commission in 1991 and made him chair in 1993. Dr. McKnight worked through the administrations of three other mayors -- Sharon Pratt Kelly, Anthony Williams and Adrian Fenty.

A number of personnel changes took place during those years, but Dr. McKnight was the one constant.