Friday, July 06, 2007

Tony Thompson On His Way To Germany!

The following is a press release concerning DC's own Tony "The Tiger" Thompson as he gets ready for his July 14 WBO Heavyweight Elimination battle with Luan "The Lion" Krasniqi in Hamburg, Germany.


A few days after celebrating the 231st anniversary of America’s independence from British rule, heavyweight contender Tony “The Tiger” Thompson will arrive in Germany on Saturday to make final preparations for his highly-anticipated July 14, 2007 showdown with fellow contender Luan Krasniqi.

The scheduled twelve-round contest -- to be held at the Color Line Arena in Hamburg, Germany – will be a WBO heavyweight eliminator. At stake is a mandatory shot at the title belt currently worn by Sultan Ibragimov.

July 14 cannot come soon enough for the 35-year old Thompson (29-1, 17 KOs), a native of Washington, D.C. Previous attempts for the rangy 6-5 southpaw to get #3-ranked Krasniqi (30-2-1, 14 KOs) into the ring with him proved futile. “It’s been kind of frustrating,” Thompson admitted. “But now that I’ve got the opportunity I’m going to go in and kick his ass and bring it to his After-Party!”


In addition to a tough customer in Krasniqi, Thompson faces the obstacle of trying to defeat him in Germany. “I have a great team behind me,” he credited. “We have done everything to prepare for this trip. I know a lot of people are worried about me getting a fair decision over there. But I’m confident I’m going to win the Germans over; not just the fans, but the judges too. But it’s hard to get robbed if the guy’s laid out on his back.”

When asked about his opponent’s fighting style and the challenges it could cause him, Thompson responded: “I don’t really concentrate on anybody’s style but my own. And I’m always confident that we are prepared to the best of our abilities. As for me, just the regular same old thing that I do: being incredibly awkward, offensively and defensively, to the point of frustration. And once he’s frustrated I’m going to take him out of there.”


Thompson’s management team consisting of, among others, co-managers Nate Peake and NBA star Steve Francis, share Thompson’s confidence. They kept Thompson in training facilities an hour away from his home to help eliminate the distractions and focus on the task at hand.

“This is THE elimination,” Peake stressed, revealing the possibility that with a victory over Krasniqi, Thompson could potentially double his pleasure in his subsequent mandatory championship bout.

“I’m looking for Tony to dominate and show the world that he is the best heavyweight in the world. Once Tony wins this fight he’s the mandatory,” Peake continued. “And with Ibragamov fighting (WBA Champion, Ruslan) Chagaev to unify both titles, Tony will get to fight the winner for both world heavyweight titles. They fight in October and the beauty of it is that instead of fighting for one belt, Tony could wind up fighting for two.”

Adding his experience as a professional athlete in the management of Thompson’s career, the man known as “Stevie Franchise” in NBA circles, Francis has been involved with Thompson for nearly four years and sees a win over Krasniqi and the potential for Thompson’s goal to become heavyweight champion of the world.

“For me it’s been like a whirlwind to be able to work with Tony because basketball and boxing are two completely different sports, but at the same time, they’re both contact and ultra competitive sports,” Francis explained.

“To be able to help somebody that has a great opportunity to get on the next level where a Holyfield, Tyson and Riddick Bowe were… to me there was no other choice but to be with someone like Tony who has the talent and heart to withstand all that’s going on inside the ring. All I can say is it is what it is. Tony’s true talents will show in this boxing match in Germany.”


Dan Goossen, President of Goossen Tutor Promotions, has been Thompson’s promoter for his last five fights and is very high on Thompson’s chances to defeat Krasniqi.

"I've got tremendous confidence in Tony coming back to America with a hard-fought victory,” Goossen asserted. “He's on a mission to establish himself right at the top with the other heavyweight champions. A victory here places him right there."


“All I’ll tell you about a prediction is that I am 25-0 since my only loss (a decision loss to Eric Kirkland seven years ago in Massachusetts) and I don’t plan on breaking that streak ever,” Thompson declared. “My record speaks for itself and I will never quit in a fight like he (Krasniqi) has. After the only time I lost I came back to prove all my doubters, who waited for me to fold in this sport, wrong.

“This fight is everything. From when I started I could only imagine being in this position. Thanks to my co-managers Nate Peake and ‘Stevie Franchise’ and the other guys who’ve helped me. My trainers, Tom Browner and Barry Hunter, put me in a position to succeed and I want to succeed for those guys who believed in me, and my family who’s been patient enough and waited for me to bring home the bacon. And now is the time,” Thompson concluded.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom Browner has did a great job for a guy who started boxing at a young age. Tom Browner should get coach of the year award for what he has did with Tony Thompson. Tony cane to the gym a tall clumsy fellow and now he is a top-of-the-line boxer who no one truly wants to fight. I wish Tony and Tom all the luck in the world.

Anonymous said...

Tony is a 2:1 dog. EA$Y MONEY

charles said...

Do you know if the match will be televised? And if so, what channel will it be on?

Gary Digital Williams said...

To my knowledge, the bout will not be televised in the US. There is a lot going on that day including two pay-per-view cards and I think cards on HBO and Showtime that weekend.

www.boxing.de is the German site that is promoting this card and they may have an idea on whether or not you can see this bout on the internet.

Anonymous said...

Good luck.. hope you get a fair fight. where are the referee's from??

Anonymous said...

Tony Thompson is the best heavyweight in the world today! He will beat Krasniqi by such a wide margin that they can't rob him! Then he's going to beat the winner of Ibragimov and Chagaev (if they fight Thompson). Then he'll beat Klitschko (if he still has the belt).

Anonymous said...

Boring! Boring!


Thompson loses by decision.

JuxtaExposed.com said...

Good luck Tony. Leave his ass on the canvas, its tough to argue with that. I have no doubt Tom and Barry will have him ready for anything, they are def two of the best in the business.

Anonymous said...

Light heavyweight Haxhi Krasniqi won a unanimous decision over the "Killer Bee" Berry Butler.

Anonymous said...

Tony will take it to him!

Gary Digital Williams said...

Is Haxhi any relation to Luan? He beat a tough guy.

harris said...

Haxhi Krasniqi's own trainer Roland Suttner gave Krasniqi only one round in the fight with Berry Butler. Butler was blatantly robbed in Germany, but there is a rematch clause in the contract and we know they will avoid it at all costs. Ask the HBO crew and all the other trainers and fighters that were there who won that fight? Buddy McGirt was there too. Most ringside saw a clear unanimous win for Killa Bee. Why people want to bring down a hard working boxer like Berry, I will never know? I guess there are just a lot of mean spirited people out there in the world today.