Wednesday, August 01, 2007

DC Boxing and Wrestling Chair Arnold McKnight Passes!



Dr. Arnold W. McKnight, the chair of the District of Columbia Boxing and Wrestling Commission, has died.

According to the Washington Post, Dr. McKnight passed away yesterday in a hospital in Gastonia, NC after a month-long battle with pancreatic cancer. Dr. McKnight was 68 years old.

Dr. McKnight joined the commission in 1991 and served as chair of the commission since 1993. As chair, Dr. McKnight presided over a number of big boxing cards in DC including the "Triple Jeopardy" card in 1999 and the Kevin McBride-Mike Tyson card in 2005. Dr. McKnight was also influential in bringing Mixed Martial Arts to the Nation's Capital.

Dr. McKnight also was a professor at Bowie State University and was the director of the Southeast Tennis and Learning Center since 2001.

My heartfelt condolences go out to Dr. McKnight's family and I'll have more to say about this great man later today.

13 comments:

Linda "Great Shot" Siadys said...

Gary, This is terrible, very sad news. I had an opportunity to work with Dr. Mcknight some this year and I will really miss him.

Anonymous said...

Heartfelt condolences to the Mcknight family. He was always kind to me when I would see him at the fights...

"Bad" Brad Berkwitt

Anonymous said...

My sincere sympathies to the family of Dr. McKnight for your loss. He was one of the first people I met when I moved to Washington over 20 years ago. He introduced me to tennis as my instructor and my respect for him as a consummate educator, public servant and caring individual continued to grow over the years. I was honored that he asked and proud to testify to his human qualities and professional capabilities before the DC Council in support of his nomination to serve on the Boxing Commission, where he contributed his many skills. He will be greatly missed by me and the many others on whom he had such a positive influence. We will keep him and his family in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

The Family of Dr. Arnold McKnight
acknowledges with sincere appreciation your condlences.We loved him very much too...

Unknown said...

Does anyone know if Dr. McKnight ever lived in the Los Angeles area? Perhaps between 1982-1984?

Andi said...

Shay, He did live in La, why do you ask?

ADW said...

Shay, Andi's right - and during the years you wrote.

Andi,

I'm looking for his daughter. We were very close. This is nothing sinister - truly sincere. Do you know anything?

ADW said...

Andi,

The first daughter.

Andi said...

I am his youngest daughter. Youre looking for my sister.

ADW said...

Andi,

Can we take this offline? Athenadw7@yahoo.com. I knew your dad and sister in Oakland, LA (spent the summer with them), and DC. So, again, this is completely sincere.

ADW said...

...and, condolences. Mac was a character. Larger than life.

Unknown said...

i love this man

Unknown said...

Yes he did he date my mother