Sunday, June 10, 2007

Locals Have Easy Night at ABC!

It was a good night for Beltway Boxers as they performed in front of a packed house estimated at 600 at the ABC Sports Complex in Springfield, VA.

In the main event, Culpepper, VA-born cruiserweight Bobby Gunn scored a technical knockout at the end of the first round when late sub opponent Elija Dickens hurt his leg after a collision that referee Billy Johnson ruled a knockdown. Dickens, a native of Philadelphia, finished the round but couldn't continue the contest.

Gunn, who now fights out of Hackensack, NJ, raised his record to 19-3, 16 KO's, while Dickens falls to 0-7.

In the co-feature, another Beltway-born boxer -- John "No Mercy" Mackey -- scored a second-round TKO over debuting Kenny Keaton of Indianapolis, IN. Mackey landed solid body shots early in the contest, then came back with head shots in the second round, forcing referee Rick Ellis to stop the contest at 1:05 of the round.

Mackey, who now lives in Montgomery, AL, remains undefeated at 6-0, three KO's.

In other bouts on the card, Falls Church, VA middleweight "Money" Mike Sawyer made short work of Jimmy Lundy of Indianapolis, IN with a first round TKO. Sawyer landed a right hand to the body that made Lundy double over then followed up with a right to the head that made Lundy stumble toward his corner. Referee Johnson saw that Lundy had taken enough punishment and called the bout at 1:36.

Sawyer is now 4-1 with two KO's. Lundy falls to 0-3.

Debuting Beltway Boxer Lawrence Jones of DC made his debut a successful one with a four-round unanimous decision over Philadelphia veteran Leo "The Lion" Edwards. Jones hit Edwards with the first right hand he threw, but had to avoid Edwards rushing in with his head all throughout the contest. Edwards lost a point in the third round for holding as well.

Jones won the bout by scores of 40-35 (twice) and 39-36. Edwards's record falls to 14-19-2, eight KO's and he has lost 11 in a row.

In a rematch, Front Royal, VA lightweight Andrew "The Doo Man" Farmer made the result exactly the same with a first-round TKO over Anthony "The Machine" Whigham of Worcester, MA. Farmer, who beat Whigham in the first round in his pro debut last year in West Virginia, wasted no time in dropping Whigham twice with hard shots. By the end of the round, Farmer had Whigham literally running away from his shots before Johnson stopped the bout at 2:59 of the first.

With the win, Farmer raised his record to 6-1, five KO's while Whigham is 0-6.

Another Front Royal boxer -- Terry "T-Brick" Roy -- also scored a first-round TKO over Boston, MA's Capousse Apounte. Roy blasted Apounte with a solid combination to the body and head that put Apounte to the canvas to stay. Referee Ellis stopped the bout at 2:25 of the first. Roy's record is 4-0-1, three KO's while Apounte is 0-2.

The night began with a lackluster draw between two Philadelphia boxers. George "Bang-Bang" Turner and Charles Mack danced their way through four rounds. All three judges scored the bout a draw, 38-38.

Here is the complete Gabcast Post-Fight Wrap-Up:

Gabcast! Boxing Along the Beltway #62 - Post-Fight Wrap-Up from Springfield!

Beltway Boxers have an easy night in this recap from the ABC Sports Complex in Springfield, VA.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anrew Farmer looked great, his opponent sucked but still made people enjoy that bout. Good fighter!
Mike Sawyer cant fight. He fights worst bums and his opponent wore tennis shoe . Both sucked !
Lawrence Jones looked very skill ful young fighter. Did very well against crafty veteran. Look to see him again soon.
Bobby Gunn- I wish we could have seen more of him. He looked like he has many skills, I wish Sugar Han will find better opponent to fight him next time.
Overall, good night for our local guys. Eric-

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Mike banged someone else girlfriend again. You cut that out boy before somebody shoot you. Who was in Mike corner? He is a boxer to.

Anonymous said...

Mike is a bad person who bangs friends g/f. Mike is bad/sorry fighter, can't fight or shit.
I hope he is got a job other than boxing, because he aint going nowhere in boxing.

Anonymous said...

As I mentioned at the show, this has to be one of the oddest cards I've been to. I had fun though. And IMO fighter of the night is Andrew Farmer: quick AND powerful.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have to agree with you Andrew Farmer looked really good.
When he knocked that boy the first time , I yelled andsaid that boy is BAD. Everyone there agreed with me , they were all Bobby Gunns people, not his.
I thought Lawrence looked good, considering this is his first pro-fight.
As for Mike Sawyer, I still believe he has potential to go somewhere. He only had few amateur fights. He is getting better.
Expect something big, I am planning to have big one on July or August featuring Bobby Gunn, Emmanuel Nwodo and Scott Farmer. I am now talking with several hotels near Tyson and Crystal city.

Han Kim-

Anonymous said...

whoever talking shit don't know mike. he need to train more ok but he hits hard and take punches without getting hurt. how he can help his opponent can't fight. if you box people talk trash about you.

Gary Digital Williams said...

The boxer working Mike's corner is former IBF Featherweight champion Eric "Mighty Mouse" Aiken. Sawyer is now training at Round One.

Anonymous said...

Go Han! -- J.S.

Anonymous said...

Who are you J.S.? Thanks anyway !!
I will try my best, continue supporting me. Thank you very much!
Han Kim-

Anonymous said...

Han-If possible please have the card in Crystal City instead of Tysons. There's a Crystal City Metro station and traffic near Tysons is pretty bad.

Anonymous said...

hey acw, the fights gonna take place on saturday. There shouldnt be any trffic. What do you think of Fair Oaks mall shopping center? Yes, inside of mall. Let me know what you think, give me some advice on it. I am talking with several different venue and they were all very interested.
Han Kim-

Anonymous said...

Han-
Thanks for the reply. Fair Oaks could be interesting. I don't have a car, so any place that's accessible by Metro (like Crystal City) is better for me, but that's just me (although I could take Metrobus to either Tysons or Fair Oaks).

Anonymous said...

Han continue to put shows on don't worry about what the haters say. We need more boxing matches in VA. I hope we can get the state back to where it was.

Anonymous said...

Thank you anonymous.This is alot of support, from you, from J.C and from acw. Tell me one match up you want to see most in beltway. I will try my best to make that fight happen for you guys. Thanks again.
Han Kim-

Anonymous said...

Han, two things:

1: I wouldn't mind seeing Andrew Farmer try to avenge his only loss so far against Ken Humphrey.

2: According to boxrec, there's a show coming up in Chantilly? Is this correct?

Anonymous said...

I am not sure where the fight is gonna take place. I am still looking for the venue. The date I am shooting for is august 11th.
I am having Bobby Gunn- IBF international title fight, Emmanuel Nwodo-tune up fight before the world championship fight and Scott Farmer's 1 more fight for the old guy to find out if he is got anything left. He had been really busy training and teaching yougsters the art of boxing. But I wanna see what he is got left in his tank. I will tell you all as soon as I find out. And also I will work on that fight with Andrew vs Ken Humphrey stay tune guys. Talk to you again acw.
Han Kim-

Anonymous said...

Thanks Han. Next time I'm at one of yous shows, I'll have Digital introduce me to you (if he doesn't mind). Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I wanna see Lawrence Jones vs Mike Sawyer vs Scott Farmer...

Anonymous said...

Scott and Mike would be good fight.
10-15 years ago? Scott would have KO Mike without a doubt, but now? good fight. Lawrence Jones? would be too young too fast for Farmer and too much for Mike.

Anonymous said...

HOW GOOD IS MIKE SAWYER? IS HE OUR NEW HOPE? NEXT JIMMY LANG? CAN ANYONE TELL ME?

Anonymous said...

Mike an Lawrence train together an have the same managment an trainers. Scott too small than them too. Mike do OK but he need to train harder.

Anonymous said...

Han get humpfrey for Andrew.

Anonymous said...

Lawrence Jones just fought at W. virginia card last night and he KO'd this guy with the sizzling body shot. The opponent doubled over and didnt get up for about 5 minutes. Just like Andrew farmer he even looks good against the bum opponent. Very good fighter, I am gonna make great fights for him where he can move up to next level. Just watch him ! Ken Biddle worked his corner. Han Kim-

Anonymous said...

The fight, Andrew Farmer vs Ken Humphrey won't happen .I have tried to make that fight for two months on my card in Winchester
july 14 but Humphreys manager
bob Cerbe said that they wouldn't
give Andrew A rematch .He said they didn't need that kind of fight again.
Scott Farmer

Anonymous said...

I have a bad news for beltway fans.
Ken Humphrey will not fight Andrew Farmer, not even at $5000 purse.
I heard Humphrey's face was all busted after the fight. Well, I tried. I will need another fight people want to see. Just let me know I will try my best to make it happen. Han Kim-

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot Scott and Han. You tried your best, but I guess Humphrey's just a little coward then, huh? Han (or Digital), what were the results from that WV show??

Well Han, if you could make it happen, I'd love to see Dean White vs. Dorin Spivey again.

Gary Digital Williams said...

There is talk that Humphreys will fight in the area this Saturday against Reggie Holly at Howard University.

If that takes place, that bout will be a rematch of a bout that took place on March 3 at the Lincoln Theatre. Holly won a four-round unanimous decision over Humphreys in that bout.

Anonymous said...

Dean White had been very tuff and very competetive fighter for past decade. But looking at his last bout, I dont think he has it anymore. All fighters go thru the sameway, just have to know when to quit. Dean had just too many hard fights after another and I dont think he should have anymore hard ones. As an old friend, Dean should quit while he is ahead. Everyone in beltway will always remember him as a tuff worrior. Take care of your family and just enjoy watching the sport. your friend.

Anonymous said...

Were there really fights in West Virginia I can't seem to find any record of them. If so who was on the card and who won?

Anonymous said...

There's something on boxrec, but I don't know if that's all, because I was talking to Mike Sawyer and he said that he was fighting in WV, so who knows.

Speaking of which, Han, if you're still reading, I've got 2 more bout requests: Mike Sawyer in a rematch vs. Delbert Somverville, and Jessie Nicklow vs. anyone (I just want to see how good Nicklow is).

Anonymous said...

Jessie Nicklow... How is he a light middleweight he always comes in above the 154lb limit? He seems like a solid fighter and is staying active any chance he'll get matched up against Sawyer or this Jones?

Gary Digital Williams said...

There were indeed fights in Martinsburg, WVA last Saturday night. Perry Ballard was the headliner on the show. I was actually scheduled to attend that show but had a prior commitment.

As far as Nicklow is concerned, he started off as a junior middleweight but is now a full-fledged 160-pounder. We'll see how his career has developed this Friday when he faces Richard "Tiger" Lee Hall from NC. This will be a nice test for him.