Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Rising Stars 'Return to Burn' in Fisherville April 28!

Rising undefeated cruiserweight prospect "JC Superstar" Juan Carlos Robles of Waynesboro, VA will headline the next Major League Boxing "Rising Stars" card called "Return to Burn" on Saturday, April 28 at the Augusta Expoland in Fisherville, VA.

Robles (8-0, four KO's) will be coming off a six-round unanimous decision victory over veteran Lenzie Morgan on March 10 in Winchester, VA. Robles's opponent on April 28 is a very interesting one and may be familiar to Beltway Boxing fans. Robles will take on "Gentleman" James Johnson of Shreveport, LA. Johnson (20-26-2, 11 KO's) should be a familiar name, especially to long-time fans of Ballroom Boxing.

In his second pro fight (as a junior middleweight) Johnson waged an epic battle against Jimmy Lange on May 13, 1999 at Michael's Eighth Avenue in Glen Burnie, MD. The bout, considered by many to be the best bout in Ballroom Boxing history, went to a four-round draw and both men were really beaten up. Almost exactly two years later (May 10, 2001), the two men met again in Glen Burnie and Lange won by a fifth-round technical knockout.

Life as a cruiserweight has been tough for Johnson, who has lost his last five bouts and eight of his last nine. Most of those losses, however, have come against solid opposition including rising prospects BJ Flores and Alfredo Escalera, Jr.

Also scheduled to be on the card will be Charlottsville, VA junior middleweight "War Time" George Rivera (1-1, one KO) and the pro debut of "White Lightning" Todd Wilson, a recent graduate of Virginia Military Institute, who will take on "The American Dream" Jay Watts, who defeated Sports Junkie JP Flaim on December 9 at the Patriot Center. Ibn Ali is also scheduled to be on the card.

More on this card as it develops.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may have to go to this one. I didn't go to the last show they had down there, but I liked what I saw in JC Superstar when he fought Morgan in Winchester. This kid is tough and strong. He's green though and he's raw and has a lot to learn but he just outhustled Morgan and took the fight right to him. I haven't seen him in a bad fight yet! I'm looking forward to seeing Ali once again. He also looks to be pretty good. He definitely looks like his uncle but it goes without saying that he's nowhere near that league (who is?). I met Ali years ago through my buddy from Memhis who was with the Bar-Kays. He and Lloyd Price (Mr. Personality, I know you know Digital but somebody's gots to teach the young bucks out there) were good buddies.

Anonymous said...

Billy D where have you been player long time no hear from. So whats up big pimping

Anonymous said...

I'm just handling mine, know what I mean

Still got my Colt 45 and my Gangsta Lean

Handlin' my bidness and stacking my paper

Taking your girl, while I turn you to vapor!

Holla if ya hear me ya'll! OH EWE to the tiggety, tiggety, tiggety T baby!

Billy D gonna have to take the trip to VA to see JC Superstar and Ali.

skinnyscott said...

Hey Digital, I'm hearing whispers about a rematch between Jimmy Lange and Cabell at The Patriot Center on May 12th. Any word? If so, who else will be fighting that night?

Linda "Great Shot" Siadys said...

I don't think it would be a good idea to have it on the 12th...

Gary Digital Williams said...

Billy D: I will probably make it to Fisherville on April 28. Look forward to meeting you in person.

Skinnyscott and Linda: I am also hearing that May 12 at the Patriot Center is the night for the Lange-Cabell rematch. There is also talk that Jaime Palma, Mike Sawyer and Mike Carrigan will also be on the card.

That will be a pretty interesting weekend because not only do you have the Mixed Martial Arts show slated for that same night at the DC Armory (I know that's a concern, Linda) but also Jake Smith is having a pro show on May 11 at DuBurns Arena in Baltimore.

skinnyscott said...

Hey Gary, I just randomly ran into the guy that's putting together the MMA show at the DC Armory. Turns out, he's an old friend of mine. He tried several other dates around the 12th so as not to compete but was unable to secure the venue. Because the armory (like the ABC Sports Complex) doesn't have AC, it's shuts down during the summer. He doesn't have any desire to compete with Jimmy's fight (which I guess is true) on the 12th. He has actually been to Jimmy's last two fights and is a huge boxing fan as well. It would be unfortunate if neither party can get an alternate date because I believe both events would suffer.

Gary Digital Williams said...

I think I met the same guy at the last Lange-Cabell fight. I don't know if the Patriot Center folks can move their date either with the summer concert season approaching.

Anonymous said...

The Patriot Center doesn't have that many shows during the summer though usually, I don't think.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the Patriot Center date won't change. It sounds like the MMA promoter can't change the DC Armory date either. That's the way it goes. Captitalism.

Linda "Great Shot" Siadys said...

two things...
1. Gary will you post any info about the MMAC on here...or is its strictly boxing Blog and
2. billy d Make the trip to Fisherville...Great fights to be had there! Would love to meet you!
Linda

Gary Digital Williams said...

Linda, I probably won't post a lot about the MMA show for two reasons:

1. This is a strictly boxing blog.

2. I don't know enough about the show or, more importantly, the sport itself to do it the justice it deserves at this point.

This might change as the days go on, though.

Linda "Great Shot" Siadys said...

:( Okay...I will keep posted. That is what I figured you would say...Thanks!