Friday, February 02, 2007

February 17 Suitland HS Card Coming Together!

The Keystone Boxing card at Suitland Senior High School on Saturday, February 17 is starting to shape up very nicely. There are some nice prospects on this card.

The resurgent Temple Hills, MD light heavyweight Jarell Mason Jackson will take on undefeated Marcus Upshaw of Jacksonville, FL in a six-round bout. Jackson (7-4-1, three KO’s) is 6-1-1 with three KO’s and one no contest in his last nine bouts. Jackson is also on a two-fight knockout streak, coming off a fourth-round knockout over Derrick Holsinger on January 26 in Morgantown, WVA.

Upshaw (4-0, two KO’s) is coming off a six-round unanimous decision over Joe Park on January 25 in North Charleston, SC.

Undefeated Pikesville welterweight Tim Coleman returns to action fresh off his six-round unanimous decision over Jason Champion on January 27 at the Pikesville Armory. Coleman (7-0, two KO’s) will face Julio Cesar Lanzas of Colorado Springs, CO in another six-round encounter. Lanzas (5-12-4, one KO), a native of Managua, Nicaragua, has faced quality opposition throughout his career, including Jose Celaya, Derrick Samuels and Alan Velasco.

Another undefeated Baltimore prospect, featherweight Tyrell Samuel, will see his first action in 2007. Samuel (8-0, five KO’s) has not fought since his tough split decision victory over Carlos Vinan on September 28 at Michael’s Eighth Avenue in Glen Burnie. Samuel will take on Robert “Don’t Lose” DaLuz of Jacksonville. DaLuz (9-5-1, eight KO’s) is unbeaten in his last three bouts (2-0-1, two KO’s) with his last bout ending with an eight-round draw against Carlos Diaz on January 19 in Tampa, FL.

There will be three four-round bouts on this card. Undefeated DC light heavyweight Reginald Taylor returns to the area for the first time since December 2004. Taylor (4-0, 2 KO’s), who is trained by Barry Hunter, has been fighting in the Gulf Coast area of the country and is coming off a four-round unanimous decision over Joseph Smith on January 5 in Biloxi, MS. Taylor will face Bel Air, MD’s Nick “Flash” Collins (2-1, two KO’s). Collins has not fought since losing his first pro bout on March 24 in Pikesville by second-round KO to Henry Mayes.

Also on the card will be DC super featherweight Ron “Teflon” Boyd, who will be trying to extend a three-bout winning streak. Boyd (3-1, one KO) has not fought since August 25 when he stopped James Franks in the third round in Dover, DE. Boyd will battle Corey “Bad Boy” Goodwin of Columbia, SC. Goodwin (7-2, two KO’s) has won his last two bouts, but has not fought since June of 2005 when he knocked out Chris Burford in the second round in White Rock, SC. Goodwin’s only losses are to top prospects Elio Rojas and Allen Litzau.

Rounding out the card will be undefeated Upper Marlboro, MD heavyweight “Big” Phill Brown (3-0, one KO), fresh off his third-round TKO over Thomas Gillespie on December 9 at the Lincoln Theatre in DC. Brown is still looking for an opponent.

Also slated for this card are six amateur bouts and autograph sessions featuring the undefeated Peterson Brothers along with, possibly, Tony “The Tiger’ Thompson who will be fighting the previous night in Beverly Hills, CA.

I have been told that there will be some nice community involvement with this card. The Suitland High School Fashion Club will be an integral part and there will be other connections with the community that I will talk about very soon.

18 comments:

Brad Dudley said...

Gary,
Can you get us the street address to this school? I want to get directions from map quest.
thanks Brad

Linda "Great Shot" Siadys said...

Here is what Gary listed in the first post: Suitland High School is located at 5200 Silver Hill Road in Forestville, MD.

Brad Dudley said...

thanks Linda

Anonymous said...

Where can I get tickets for this?

Gary Digital Williams said...

Tickets are available at Keystone Insurance Agency, located at 4203 Branch Avenue, Temple Hills, MD in the Marlow Heights Shopping Center. For more information, call Gene at (301) 899-2430.

Anonymous said...

I did see a few names who are boxing as amatures on the show at Suitland High School. I know three of the names from California. I checked and as of December of 2006 all three were rated number one in the USA. Looks like this is going to be one hell of a show. Someone is putting out some big money to get these guys here. Airfare, hotel, food, etc... It goes to show you that DC and MD must have some really good amature boxers.
I will be working the pizza and soda stand, but I will also take time out to catch a few matches.
By the way, there will be a seperate pizza and soda stand next to WPGC T-Shirt give-a-way booth.
I suggest that people get there early, it looks like a sell-out crowd to me. This is a real boxing show!!! This ain't some Cassandra White Bullshit.$$$ No Bad Checks Here$$$ I hear one young amature boxer is coming out of the back room riding a damn horse. With a song playing "RIDE THE WHITE PONY"
Never thought I see the day when young amature boxers have better outfits and better ring entrances than the pros, but must admit I love it... I have a feeling that the amatures might steel the show.
I even read that a ranked Gerry Rusel might do an exhibtion. I also hear that he is better than any pro locally. I know I will be purchasing me a Ringside seat for me and my lady. She has yet to witness a live boxing match. She even graduated from Suitland in 1979. I wish tomorrow was Feb 17th. 2007 6:30pm. I can hardly wait. Goodnight my friends. I will see you there. I must find someone else to run the Pizza stand, I will be ringside with Glenn Harris,
Donnie Simpson, Gilbert Arenas and many others.

Anonymous said...

DAMN I HEARD THAT!

Gary Digital Williams said...

I have been told that it won't be Gary Russell, Jr doing the exhibition, but his brother Gary Allen Russell might.

He is a good one also.

Anonymous said...

I was over Round 1 and I saw Boyd sparring with Aiken and with a guy name lint and he looked ok but I want to see him in a fight. I herd he use to fight at 150lbs how the hell he did that please tell me. He's the same guy Adrian use to train he got koed his first fight I will be there to see for myself.

Anonymous said...

I thought Big Phill was going to fight up Suitland Hs. I guess he went with Hahn show because he brings bums.that's good for Phill he need some more of them.

Gary Digital Williams said...

There is a remote possibility that Phill may be on both shows. That all depends of course on what he would do if he stayed on the Feb. 17 show.

Anonymous said...

I thought you couldn't be under a agreement to fight in less than 14 days

Gary Digital Williams said...

In all honesty, I'm not familiar with that rule. It may be one that is not enforced.

Again, it may have to do with what a boxer does. I will check to see which card Brown decides to work on.

Anonymous said...

Brown will be on the Suitland card.

Anonymous said...

Brown will be on the Suitland card.

Anonymous said...

What are ticket prices for this show? Tyrell Samuels is the real deal, seen him work out at Mack's gym in east bmore. Interesting to see if Pettway can grow into a first class trainer, like he was a fighter.

Anonymous said...

The first 150 people there before
7:00pm will be permitted to come in free. The show will start at 7:00 pm sharp.

Gary Digital Williams said...

Actually, the doors may open earlier than 7 pm. There are nine amateur bouts scheduled for this show.