Saturday, December 09, 2006

Weights for DC and Fairfax!

Here are the scale watches for both the "Black and Brown Throwdown" at the Lincoln Theatre in DC and the Major League Boxing card at the George Mason University Patriot Center. Both shows are tomorrow night.

The "Black and Brown" Throwdown:

Clarence Vinson 119 vs. Jose Cruz 120

Thomas Snow 127 vs. Mike Salyers 130

Horace Grant 261 vs. Chris Brown 232

Demetrius Davis 177 vs. Dhafir Smith 182 This bout is now an exhibition contest.

Phill Brown 293 vs. Thomas Gellespe 266

Shon McCort 173 vs. Larry Brothers 171

Reggie Holly 143 vs. Carlos Cisneros 141


The Major League Boxing card:

Jimmy Lange 151 ½ vs. Fontaine Cabell 151
(12 rounds for the vacant WBC Continental Americas Junior Middleweight title)

Dean White 135 vs. Dorin Spivey 137

Boone Pultz 232 vs. Alonzo Cutchins 252

Juan Robles 210 vs. Danny Sheehan 222

Andrew Farmer 135 vs. Ken Humphreys 134

Jaime Palma 134 vs. Reggie Sanders 132

Reggie LaCrete 178 vs. William Bailey 182

JP Flaim 156 vs. Jay Watts 154

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Digital, a random question: When they announce the fighters, why do they announce weights, but never heights? I like to know how the fighters match up heightwise. Anyway, are you going to the Fairfax show tomorrow? Maybe I'll see you there.

Gary Digital Williams said...

I think because weight is more of an issue. You can be very tall but if you don't use your height well, it won't help you.

Because you have weight classes and not height classes in the sport, weight is definitely a bigger issue.

I will be at the Fairfax show. Hope to see you there, ACW.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, good point. I still think they should announce it, but that's just me...

Gary Digital Williams said...

When a guy is unusually tall, the announcer will let the crowd know.

For example, WBA Heavyweight champ Nicolai Valuev is 7'2". So they sometimes announce that height.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I'll be curious to see how Vinson does. I was expecting a bit more from him a few years back.

BTW - Speaking of Valuev, I think that was a baffling move putting him in against Jameel McCline. Yes, I know Jameel is 37 or 38, and nothing great for that matter, but out of all the 2nd-tier/echelon type guys out there -- why put the big slow lummox in against a 6'6" 250+ guy with pretty fast hands??? A stupid move I.M.O. I think Jameel will probably win.

Anonymous said...

Bizzy-that'd be Valuev's first loss, wouldn't it? Of course, when you're that big, you don't have to be a SUPERB boxer.

Anonymous said...

Affirmitive, ACW. It would be his first loss. And true; when you are THAT huge, have a good chin, decent stamina, and even modest skills -- it's not going to be an easy task. But I think he is far from 'unbeatable'. As a matter of fact, like I said, I think McCline will probably beat him, and by a comfortable (8-4/9-3) type margin, or possibly late rd. TKO.

* One note about reach ACW, in case you don't know. It is (in my opinion) kind of an archaic and misleading form of measurement, that should be scrapped in favor of the more telling ARM LENGTH. For instance: Awhile back, when a Beltway-area boxer named Hasim Rahman was set to take on Vitali Klitschko, much was made of the 6'3" Rahman's reach advantage over the 6'8" Vitali. HOWEVER...Rahman, is very wide through the back. Vitali, was not particuarly. In terms of ARM LENGTH (Armpit-to-fingertip) Vitali did in fact have the slight advantage.

P.S - I think if Valuev had the HUGE one-punch KO power to go along with his HUGE size, he might really be something. But he doesn't. And he is SOOO slow. I just can't consider the guy anything more than a B-level hvy at this point. And neither is McCline for that matter, but I think he matches up well with him size and style wise.

Anonymous said...

BTW - A few years ago, I considered Valuev to be a complete joke, ACW. Well, I still consider him to be kind of a 'partial joke', quite frankly, but he can no longer be considered a total joke at this point.