Wednesday, October 11, 2006

'Sparkplug' Neal Seriously Injured in Forklift Accident!

I'm hearing reports that Burke, VA junior middleweight "Sparkplug" Tommy Neal was seriously injured in a forklift accident about a week ago.

The good news I'm hearing is that he is back at home recovering. The bad news I'm hearing is that his pro boxing career -- which started back in August -- may be seriously in doubt.

Neal made an impressive pro debut on August 19 at the ABC Sports Complex in Springfield, VA when he won an easy four-round unanimous decision over Montez Wilson. He showed great composure in that bout and didn't press the issue. He was very patient.

Neal was slated to be a part of the next Scott Farmer card at ABC on November 18.

I send my best wishes to Tommy and his family.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes Tommy. I hope you have a speedy recovery. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Mike Sawyer

Anonymous said...

I saw Tommy as well and was quite impressed. Let's hope that if he cannot come back to boxing, he at least recovers where he can go back to work.

Anonymous said...

Best wishes indeed...My very first job in my late teens was at a lumber yard and a few months later operated a forklift. Generally speaking, it's a pretty safe job. Although I do have one scar to show for it (kind of a freak accident with metal banding) and one time I tried to take two('jumbo')sized slings of plywood off a truck, and a few seconds later was staring down at the ground while in an almost '12 o' clock' position. Talk about 'check your pants' time as a rookie 18 yr.old kid. Anyways, I wish for a speedy recovery and no significant long-term damage, and echo what 'anonymous' said. * This is why "Afflac" may not be such a bad idea folks. Especially if you work in manual labor or with machinery. Anyways, serious injury occuring on forklifts are relatively rare, and I'm a bit curious as to how it happened...

Anonymous said...

That's a shame. I echo what Digital and Mike said.

Big Poppa said...

Sorry to hear about Tommy's accident. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Being kinda new to the area's boxing scene, I just started hearing about the ABC Sports complex in Springfield. Where is it located?

Tks, and once again, best wishes Tommy!

Gary Digital Williams said...

Big Poppa:

First, welcome to the area boxing scene.

The Annandale Boxing Club (ABC) Sports Complex is located on 6728 Commercial Drive in Springfield, VA.

Anonymous said...

Any word on how Tommy is doing?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your inquiries and best wishes. I will be making a return to boxing. The doctors have assured me that I may resume my career once healed up. It will take more than a forklift to stop me.
Thanks! (Thank you Mr.Williams too)

Tommy Neal