Saturday, March 04, 2006

Sightings and Stories from the Lincoln Theatre!

If all goes well, you will be hearing some interesting interviews in future weeks on this blog. I ran into some real good people at the Lincoln Theatre, a couple I have not seen in a long time. They have all consented to interviews that you will be hearing in the future.

One person I ran into was former IBC Middleweight champion Gerry "Rock" Payne. This gentleman holds a special place in my boxing career. During the early-90's, Payne, who was a highly respected amateur and an alternate on the 1988 US Olympic team, was a solid pro who headlined cards in his first two bouts. The first time I ever called a boxing card for television was Payne's pro debut, a six-round bout that was the main event at Coolidge Senior High School.

Payne was a member of the famous "Hard Corps" stable of manager Barry Linde along with Derrell "Too Sweet" Coley, Reggie "Showtime" Green and the late Reuben "Ratman" Bell. In the archives of this blog (August 2005), I talk about this stable in detail.

Payne's career reached an apex in 1994 when he beat Jeff Johnson for the IBC Middleweight title at the DC Convention Center. Personal problems halted what was an exciting career.

Also on the show were three guys that made my top 10 list of the best Beltway Boxers of the last 20 years. Former three-time world champ Simon Brown, former two-time world champion Keith Holmes and the legendary Darryll Tyson were all in attendance.

As far as current Beltway Boxers are concerned, there is some interesting news concerning Lamont Pearson and Teddy Reid, who were both at the Lincoln last night. The Pearson info I won't get into at this time. I want you to hear it from him personally. Reid told me that he will be fighting for a Commonwealth title in England next month. I will interview him about that one.

There was some outside-the-area star power also. Undefeated junior welterweight and welterweight contender Paul "The Punisher" Williams was in attendance. There has been some talk that Williams was scheduled to face former WBA Junior Welterweight champ Sharmba Mitchell on April 12 on ESPN2. I have been in contact with both men and that bout will not happen. In an ironic twist, Williams is now scheduled to face Chris Smith on April 12. If you remember, Smith was the guy Mitchell beat for the NABA Welterweight title on the McBride-Tyson card in DC last June.

San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne "Lights Out" Merriman was at the card. He is the nephew of the newly-crowned Tri-State Cruiserweight champion Henry "Sugar Poo" Buchanan.

I am saving the best for last and let me start by saying that I was honored to do the blow-by-blow commentary for City Cable 16's broadcast of this card. I will let you know when the card will be aired. My broadcast partner, of course, was "The Fight Doctor" Jerome Spears. I also had a little help from Henry "Discombobulating" Jones at the beginning of the card.

I mention this also because one of the interviews that Spears and I conducted for City Cable 16 was with a true legend of the game. The card was honored by the presence of the former light heavyweight and heavyweight champion of the world Michael Spinks. Spears and I had a nice long chat with Spinks and it was one of the most enjoyable interviews I have ever participated in. By the way, Spinks' long time manager and promoter, Butch Lewis was also in attendance. They are working with the undefeated heavyweight Faruq Saleem.

So it was a good night to star watch if you are a boxing fan!

No comments: