Thursday, November 17, 2005

Does Sharmba Have a Shot?

This Saturday's bout between Sharmba Mitchell and Floyd Mayweather,Jr.is by many people's standards, a mismatch.

On one hand, you have a boxer who is undefeated, has won world titles in three weight classes and is considered the best boxer pound-for-pound in the world. On the other hand, you have a very experienced boxer who has had twice as many bouts as his opponent but is still looking for a marquee victory.

So how in the world does Mitchell win this bout.

Quite honestly, I don't know if he does win. But the experience factor could be the most overlooked factor in the bout.

When I talk to Darryl Tyson, one thing he always says: "Boxing is a thinking man's game and if I can out think you, I can beat you."

The ring savvy that Mitchell does possess may be a key, if Mitchell can stretch the bout out long enough.

There is a whole lot of respect being thrown between the two boxers and that is good. But I almost think there is too much respect by Mitchell towards Mayweather and I hope that doesn't hamper his game plan.

Prediction? I hope I'm wrong, but I'm going with Mayweather stopping Mitchell in the late rounds. I think Mitchell will do enough to make it an interesting contest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mitchell is a talented boxer as we know. he is a southpaw which will give mayweather problems as "chop-chop" did when he fought mayweather.
chop-chop even hurt floyd once in the fight.. another factor is the weight mayweather is coming up to 147 so we will see what affect his punches have on sharmba. it should be noted that sharmba is moving up too. i think sharmba may be a little too slick and strong for floyd to stop. mayweather is not a very strong puncher like kostyzu is, so it should be interesting. we have yet to see if floyd can hurt a welterweight with his punches. his fight with gatti is not a good fight to gage his power, gatti looked like a "wet noodle" when they fought; he had no strength at 140, which tells me he struggled at the 140lb weight.

mayweather by unanimous decision..