Saturday, August 20, 2005

"Too Sharp" Bout Off!

I spoke to former three-time world champion Mark "Too Sharp" Johnson tonight at the Mayor's Cup Amateur Boxing Tournament. Johnson told me that his September 1 bout mentioned here in an earlier post is off. Johnson tore a muscle in his arm and that has postponed the bout.

Other notes from the Mayor's Cup: Featherweight Eric "Mighty Mouse" Aiken of Forestville, MD will be fighting for the NABA Featherweight title on October 1 in Columbus, OH. No word yet on his opponent.

I met the newest commissioner on the DC Boxing and Wrestling Commission. His name is Steve Bullock. At this time, that's all I know about him. I hope to talk to him in depth at a future date. Bullock joins the Chair, Dr. Arnold McKnight and the other commissioner Mable Boatwright.

I made my ring announcing debut tonight at the Mayor's Cup. I'm no Discombobulating Jones, but I think I did a pretty decent job.

The Mayor's Cup, by the way, continues tomorrow at the Kennedy Recreation Center, 7th and P Streets, NW. It's free, so if you're in the neighborhood, please stop by and if you do, please say hello to me.

No comments: