Friday, August 05, 2005

Too Sharp Back In Action!

Former three-time world champion Mark "Too Sharp" Johnson of DC will be back in action on September 1 as he faces Jhonny Gonzalez in a bantamweight matchup in Tucson, Arizona.

Gonzalez is ranked number two in the world by the WBO and has a record of 29-4, 25 knockouts. Johnson has not performed well in his previous bouts at bantamweight. He usually does not carry the power well nor does he take punches well. Johnson is 44-4 with 28 KO's and has won world titles at flyweight and junior bantamweight.

I've talked to Johnson over the past few weeks because he was training for another bout and was asked by both Sharmba Mitchell and Zab Judah to be in their camps to spar as those two prepared for a bout originally scheduled for Sept. 5. By the way, the Judah-Mitchell fight, which was for Judah's Undisputed World Welterweight crown, has been postponed.

This Johnson bout worries me because I'm not sure Johnson has the chin nor power to beat a top-flight bantamweight. I hope I'm wrong because I would like to see "Too Sharp" make one more title run before he hangs it up. I think we are looking at a future hall of famer in Mark Johnson.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gary, this fight worries me also for too-sharp.. however he is a veteran and has many tricks he can rely on. next to sugar ray leonard, he is probably the best to come out of the washinton, d.c metropolitan area.. i definitely wish him well..

Gary Digital Williams said...

Thanks for your comment, SlickWalt.

Right now at his age, I don't think Mark has enough to really compete as a bantamweight. He has not done well in the past and he has faced tough competition in that division. Again, I hope I'm wrong but like you, I'm worried.

In my opinion, Johnson and Simon Brown are the two best to come out of the DC area in the post-Leonard era.

Anonymous said...

i had forgotten about simon brown. he really disappointed me in his defeats to terry norris and vince pettaway. even though he beat terry in there first encounter, i was really disappointed in the rematch. the pettaway fight, which i attended at the old capital centre, was definitely a shocker. he was wining the fight until vince hit him with one of the most vicious left hooks i had ever seen. of course, you know the rest...

Gary Digital Williams said...

I do know the rest, SlickWalt. I was there also and it was probably the best card along the Beltway in the 17 years I've been following boxing.

Despite the losses to Norris and Pettway, I think Simon has enough credentials to earn himself a place in the hall of fame. After Leonard moved up in weight, Brown was considered to be the best welterweight in the world. Both losses to Norris and Pettway were losses at junior middleweight.

Brown was almost unbeatable at 147 pounds. He ended up being a three-time world champion. His two bouts against Tyrone Trice and his contest against his best friend Maurice Blocker were some classic matchups. He was a great fighter to watch.

Anonymous said...

Hey I agree 100% agree with the last few comments. This blog has great opinions and this is why I continue to visit, thanks! ##link#

yuiu said...



I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog. I am appreciating your effort. You can visit my site.
boxing rings

Unknown said...

This is a fantastic website, could you be interested in going through an interview concerning just how you made it? You can visit my site.
boxing rings

Unknown said...

I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog. I am appreciating your effort. You can visit my site.
boxing rings